Hey fellow UGers (a line that can't be written too much here on Ulimate-Guitar ).

This thread is an experiment I'm making and a good way to get information and discuss different pick ups.

Rules:

1. I name a pick up each day that we all can discuss in a sober way.
1a. When I name a new pick up the old discussion stops!
2. No flaming and no stupid comments. "Fender makes the best pick ups because you suck balls", is a stupid comment.
3. ONLY discuss pick ups. If we discuss Gibson pick ups you may not discuss Gibson guitars dor example.
4. Be specific and informative, what is it that you like/dislike about the pick up? WHY does it sound good/bad?
5. If I miss a day, please don't flame me, I might be on vacation or something like that. Just keep discussing the "old" pick up.

NOTE: I write what pick up we are discussing in this thread and on the last page!

I'm really looking forward to see your reactions on this one!

I'll start out with known pick up brands (like Seymore Duncan, Dimazio etc.) and later, if this yurns out well, we are going to talk about more "unknown" pick ups. We are going to discuss both single coils and humbuckers.

I see this going somewhere! Let's try:

The JB Series from Duncan
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Last edited by Muppet at Sep 12, 2006,
Great for screaming lead solos.

EDIT: nice idea BTW
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Great for screaming lead solos.

EDIT: nice idea BTW

Could you give more information?

Thanks.
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
emg 81 and 85 are great for highoutput

your always gunna want to put the emg 81 at the bridge
They aren't bad in the neck position, but then you won't have any versatility, since they're cleans aren't great. Also, I've heard their tone is a bit sterile. Sounds great with EMG 81,85,60,89...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I think the whole point was to make back up and more insightful posts....atleast that's what I got from the threadstarter....

The 81....a naturally low output pipkup that is boosted by the active preamp built it.....yeilds a very strong signal pushing the preamp.

I've never been an active man....it just sounds to sterile for me. IMO, you can find passives that do everything an active does better.

But, back to the 81.....it's a pretty trebly pickup....crunchy and prominent in the mids.....at times, all the treble almost makes it seems like it lacks some bass IMO.

And no, the 81 is not the end all for the bridge....some are very happy with it in the neck, and an 85 in the bridge! They say it is much more balanced, yet still agressive!

Fun thread!
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
I think the whole point was to make back up and more insightful posts....atleast that's what I got from the threadstarter....

The 81....a naturally low output pipkup that is boosted by the active preamp built it.....yeilds a very strong signal pushing the preamp.

I've never been an active man....it just sounds to sterile for me. IMO, you can find passives that do everything an active does better.

But, back to the 81.....it's a pretty trebly pickup....crunchy and prominent in the mids.....at times, all the treble almost makes it seems like it lacks some bass IMO.

And no, the 81 is not the end all for the bridge....some are very happy with it in the neck, and an 85 in the bridge! They say it is much more balanced, yet still agressive!

Fun thread!

You got the point, my friend!

Nice to see some possitive posts, guys! Keep it up!
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Is it all right for me to bumb?.....
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
^I think so...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
The EMG 81 is the metal pickup used in the bridge position by countless guitarists including: Hetfield and Hammett from Metallica, King and Hanneman from Slayer, Loomis from Nevermore. It sounds great paired with the 60 or the 85. Hammett uses dual 81's although the clean tone is much thinner. The 81 is great for anything, including rhythm and lead distortion work and is great for picking up harmonics/ pinch harmonics ie. Wylde.
Quote by Mascot
Wouldn't use 'em even if they were free.

Why?
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
They can get a really good distortion. My friend has a pair in his Epi. But they have miserably sterile and kinda tinny clean, but a good punk or metal distortion. Not organic enough for me however.
Next pick up: Hot Rails!
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Used by many guitarists to increase the gain available to them when using a strat or single coil based guitar. Used by Iron Maiden's 3 guitarists in their strats. Isn't such a great choice for good cleans, but will give your amps distortion the depth it needs - great for rythm guitar!
Marty
Quote by Muppet
Next pick up: Hot Rails!

AKA: Mud wrapped in plastic...

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
^ hotrails: sound like total crap in the bridge (way too thin, crap tone, loses the nice single coil sparkle, and doesn't have the girth of a humbucker), sound marginally better in the middle and neck position (they're less hot, for a start), but still aren't good by a long shot.

in conclusion, they suck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I think they sound pretty nice (Iron Maiden's guitarists) But of course they use like racks and stacks and quacks and sh1t !!

But if you're looking for a nicer Hotrail-esque tone, I suggest the The Sinner from BK, the demos were of good tone.......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Agreed!

They take away all single cooil characteristics, but don't get you into humbucker territory....they leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.....with a **** tone.

exactly. if you have a true single, yeah, you have to find some way to get rid of the noise (or else put up with it), and they don't have the girth of a full-size 'bucker, but at least you have the sweet sparkle of single coil tone. and vice versa with a full-size bucker.

as you say, hot rails promise to give you both, and deliver neither. awful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Next pick up is the JB Series from Duncan.
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Great for just about anything, but it could be improved upon in the treble department. In comparison, the Custom Custom is an improvement, but still only a Seymour.

Like Dave and PF said, Duncans are nothing special in comparison to boutique pickups for relatively similar prices.
Quote by Muppet
Next pick up is the JB Series from Duncan.

awesome.

terrible. way too trebly. way too hot. they've changed the specs twice since the original, and both times, it's been for the worse.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
terrible. way too trebly. way too hot. they've changed the specs twice since the original, and both times, it's been for the worse.

2nd'd

Extremely thin, they only work in very select circumstances. The problem being those circumstances aren't predictable, the best I've heard a JB sounding (believe it or not) was in an alder neck-thru guitar, maple neck and ebony board with an OFR.. You'd think it'd be way to bright but it wasn't, I've had more problems with mahogany bodied ESPs and JBs tbh. Guess it shows that a guitar =/= sum of parts.

But anyways, the Dimarzio Norton (regular not the Air Norton) covers a similar range of tones (it'll probably cover more tbh) sounds terrific and has some beef in the bass to level things out.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
^Basically all covered!

Way too trebly......Way too trebly.....did I mention it's way too trebly?!?! Basically, it puts an annoying sizzle over your tone that you can not dial out for the life of you.

A pole piece adjustment helps it a bit, but still, nothing special. I was happy with mine until I upgraded to my current pups...left me with a "what was I thinking?!?!"
waiting for the day to change so Im not forced to talk about the jb...mainly because its been covered... and may i suggest th givson 500T for tomorrow?
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by power freak

2nd'd

Extremely thin, they only work in very select circumstances. The problem being those circumstances aren't predictable, the best I've heard a JB sounding (believe it or not) was in an alder neck-thru guitar, maple neck and ebony board with an OFR.. You'd think it'd be way to bright but it wasn't, I've had more problems with mahogany bodied ESPs and JBs tbh. Guess it shows that a guitar =/= sum of parts.

But anyways, the Dimarzio Norton (regular not the Air Norton) covers a similar range of tones (it'll probably cover more tbh) sounds terrific and has some beef in the bass to level things out.

and seconded again (apart from the norton, I haven't tried it). I've tried the JB twice where it DID sound decent (I wouldn't go so far as good, or even great, but good enough that you could work with it). Once was, like you, an an alder-winged, maple thru-neck- a 2006 Jackson SL3 soloist- and the other was in a yamaha pacifica 812- alder, with a maple bolt-on neck. In both of those, it should be bright, as you said. You COULD maybe argue that maybe they'd done the polepieces "trick", but I was talking to the manager of the shop about the Jackson, he was telling me that he hadn't had time to set up the Jackson yet, it had just come in- so the polepieces wouldn't have been done.

And I've tried it in Mahogany (supposedly a much less bright wood, though with all the different species which can be called "mahogany" (especially in the cheaper far eastern models), you could perhaps argue that point), where it was painfully bright- and in another alder, maple bolt-on, where it was again, painfully bright. Oh, and in another Jackson alder-winged, maple-thru neck.

Hmm. It sounded too bright in a dark wood, and a lot less bright in technically brighter woods. As Lewis says, it's a total lottery, and if you win it, you don't end up with a great pickup, you end up with a "decent" one...

In my opinion.

^ only suggest the gibson 500T if you want another raft of "terrible! It sucks!" responses...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i hate gibson 500ts. For gibson its burstbucker or nothing. I have a jb in one of my guitars and its great for certain things. It sounds too thin in mahogany guitars in my opinion. It's only good in alder. It also sounds horrible thru dark amps like a dual recto in my opinion. It gives a nice sound if eqed correctly. If not its too much treble up the ass. It gives a great tone for hard rock. A little too little for full on metal but a little too much for classic rock. I also hate hot rails and i wouldn't put emgs in if they were given to me. They just sound too sterile.

edit: No offense to duncan but they just don't have it for single coils. I am a fan of most humbuckers with the exception of distortion and invader.. Custom custom is thier best invention in my opinion.
Last edited by Lost Hippie at Sep 13, 2006,
Why did this thread die? Its a great thread with a lot of useful info. Could some talk about the Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro pickups next?
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
PM Muppet, the rules say that he is supposed to name the pickups.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Muppet...... I suggest the DiMarzio Evo or Tone Zone next............ that's where I'll come in and post "Th!z 1z t3H ****!n ub3R Pw4Nzr0z !!!"
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!