helo thar!

i'm looking and hoping to join jazz band next year, and i'm pretty sure i'm technically qualified, and i know a smidgen of theory...however, i'm a bit hazy on what exactly is in the audition and what to expect from the band in general musically

this is directed towards anyone who has had any general experience in jazz band before, or just has a ton of information about it...what exactly is the audition? what do they look for? and if anyone could provide a link to a typical jazz band song being performed, that would be grand

thanks to all in advance
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
How old are you? Seventh Grade? If so, then you will play an easy song like Leap Frog, or something, and your band director will check your tone, style, articulation, and possibly soloing skills. What instrument do you play? Guitar, or a traditional instrument? If you're on guitar, they will probably see you're ability to keep a steady rhythm, and your tone on guitar.

Any questions? PM me.

Jason A.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
When I was in Jazz band a while back I did not have to audition because I was the only guitarist, but for the other instruments, I remember them having to play a song the teacher gives them. Also, I would expect him to have you improvise over something.
~Long live the 6-string~
I suggest knowing how to

- Sight-read chords and melody (not at the same time though)
- Improvise over songs you have never played (with the sheet music before you)
- Improvise over songs you know
- What the rest said
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by cashewchaching
How old are you? Seventh Grade? If so, then you will play an easy song like Leap Frog, or something, and your band director will check your tone, style, articulation, and possibly soloing skills. What instrument do you play? Guitar, or a traditional instrument? If you're on guitar, they will probably see you're ability to keep a steady rhythm, and your tone on guitar.

Any questions? PM me.

Jason A.

i was actually referring to a high school jazz band, and i play guitar; sorry for the lack of clarity there

well, i know for a fact that there's only one guitarist in the jazz band, and he's graduating this year, so the spot will be open...however, i'm not sure how many musicians might want to audition, or if i'll be the only one...i just want to be as fully prepared as possible for it - you know, what to work on specifically; i may be focusing on one thing more than another and so on

i can read sheet music, and i'm starting to get a firm grasp on sight reading (which has been my main focus as of late)...i've also been focusing on soloing, improvisation, and technique of course
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

All good things. You've got the idea. And if the previous guitarist is leaving, there is no way the band director will turn you down, unless you totally suck. But you said that you could read music, and that you have been focusing on technique, which means you know what you're doing. You got it.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
thanks for the insight; tis greatly appreciated
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

haha i'm joining one this year.

Should be easy, the director told me that i'd have to doing alot
of chord type things, should be a good experience.

I probally know most of the chords they'd use though. haha.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
haha i'm joining one this year.

Should be easy, the director told me that i'd have to doing alot
of chord type things, should be a good experience.

I probally know most of the chords they'd use though. haha.

Maybe not. They can use some pretty weird voicings sometimes. And of course playing some chords won't be THAT challenging... However, making them sound like music might be a bit more difficult.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
i tend to see chord voicings and inversions must faster then before because i'm becoming better at seeing the notes on the neck...i don't like sticking to scale shapes to determine different chords - once you see the notes, it's easy to see slash chords and to add some moving basslines and simple harmony

and feltgrape, you stole my sig
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Learn Freddie Green style comping. I think that's a pretty desirable trait in a jazz rhythm guy.

Besides that, like said above you should know and sightread chords and their inversions.... you might also want to prepare a few jazz heads in different styles; sometimes jazz auditions have you play a head. I personally would probably do a swing standard and a ballad, and possibly do the melody and chords simultaneously on the ballad.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
^would you recommend any head in particular? what exactly do you mean by swing standard and ballad?
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Well, you know standards of course.... jazz tunes that most jazz guys know. I was giving examples of two styles that will be common in a jazz band. Your comping style will be different on different styles, so showing a little versatility can't hurt. Here's a good site on Freddie Green, who I base my swing style on: http://www.freddiegreen.org/

Here is a website I use sometimes: www.jazzstandards.com Gives good info on who does the standards, what key, what form, etc. They are organized in terms of general popularity here: http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions/index.htm

As for what heads... go with something recognizable, but also something you're comfortable with. A favorite ballad of mine is Misty: I love the tune, I've played it a few different ways, and I'm pretty comfortable with it. If you have any jazz heads you like, pick two or three and polish them up a bit.

I hope I answered your question, just post back if I haven't.... one thing that puzzles me: why hasn't your instructor/director told you the audition requirements? I would have possibly expected a generic jazz standard that all auditioners are required to play, so they could be compared on a similar tune.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
well, the music program in this school isn't as advanced or as choosy about who can join simply because of the lack of musicians who are interested in general...i am somewhat familiar with Freddie Green's rhythm style and i've tried incorporating that into my rhythmic playing...i really don't think the audition will be very demanding at all, and there won't be one period if i'm the only one who's interested (which is highly likely)...but there's no harm in being prepared
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!