ive searched and found that no1 has asked wat is the best guitar for thrash/punk like old Metallica,Slayer,DRI,Kreator,Overkill,Crumbsuckers,Cryptic Slaughter,Exodus,Testament,Minor Threat,Youth Of Today,Judge,Black Flag,Napalm Death,Venom,Death,Megadeth,Misfits

i kno they're all different but to get that heavy sound with lots of distortion, what tone wood and what company has alot of guitars built for the genre (can't find 1!) cuz ibanez and jacksons are "metal" i kno you can use them for it but im looking for a guitar thats better suited for thrash/punk, so when i get a job i can figure out what guitar to get because everytime i look its either:"great for metal" or a "shred guitar"
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
well i think maybe ur amp should be upgraded first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
well i think maybe ur amp should be upgraded first.

Yeah, most of your sound is the amp itself, why you would go for a guitar before an amp is beyond me...
Randalls are good for heavy sounds.
*shrugs* I don't know...
ya i kno the amp contributes alot to the sound and im DEFINATELY upgrading it 1st but im asking that in the guitar gearand accessories form because thats where it should be (i was thinking a straight front Randall with V30's), so back to the question what guitars,tone woods,brands do you guys think would be a good choice
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Inbeanes Jet King is solid Mahogany, and with a Pup change would be great.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
how about the X2N pickup i hear there the hottest you can get, it this true? any brands that aren't big(ibanez,jackson every1 knows bout em) that would fit the bill?and every1 says dont use 9 gauge they should be at least 10's (not just for thrash/punk but anything) would do you guys think?thanx
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
I'm not too educated in B-52 amps, but I played a half cab at Guitar Center once and almost creamed myself. It has such a nice tone for cleans and distortion. Hell, the built in distortion actually sounded decent. Definitely something to check out.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by IbanezxXx
how about the X2N pickup i hear there the hottest you can get, it this true? any brands that aren't big(ibanez,jackson every1 knows bout em) that would fit the bill?and every1 says dont use 9 gauge they should be at least 10's (not just for thrash/punk but anything) would do you guys think?thanx

Strings are personal prefrence. I happen to like .12 third wounds, and I play so many diffrent styles its not funny. But strings really are a prefrence.

^I hope you mean .012". .12 would be like bass strings, lol.

But yea, strings really don't make too much difference in sound. You can tell differences in different strings, but really, it's not gonna make a noticeable difference.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

look into esp/ltd
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
Quote by flyingjew34
^I hope you mean .012". .12 would be like bass strings, lol.

But yea, strings really don't make too much difference in sound. You can tell differences in different strings, but really, it's not gonna make a noticeable difference.

Oh ****, sorry. Yeah .012's. I have a bad habit of doing that, sorry.

i know strings are a personal preference but i never got to try anything above 10's though, 10's are fine its just on the guitars i have that are good (cali and 470, cuz the 120 i think is agathis and V needs repair) they have a floyd rose style trem and its a bitch to set it up to 10's, and has any1 heard bout ran guitars would they be good, but ya ill look at more esp/ltd my friends have low end 1's, so i gota go to guitar center to find 1 that ill consider buying
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Last edited by IbanezxXx at Sep 9, 2006,
active or passive pickups?
type of fretboard?
thick or thin body?
thick or thin neck?
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Quote by IbanezxXx
active or passive pickups?
type of fretboard?
thick or thin body?
thick or thin neck?

All prefrence.

I like passive Pups, Maple Fretboards, A decently thin body (max. is a tele width), and a meaty nick thats not very wide.

If your going to guitar center I'd take a look at this its an all tube and marked down to $750 right now.
B-52 AT-212
As for the guitar I know Gretsch are used alot in punk but good ones are usually really expensive. But if you got the pockets I would definately try one out also check these out.
Another big punk guitar......
American Telecaster
You should probably check out esp aswell
M1000
Eclipse 2
Last edited by Osiris77 at Sep 9, 2006,
i gave examples of sounds i want, i kno its preference, but i narrowed it down so stop sayin preference, so if you didn't understand before i want a thrash/punk, heavy distorted, slayer,DRI, etc. type sound (heavy punch you in the face tone),lots of bass and treble,high-gain, i hear swamp ash has great highs and lows, but people say maghony is best for it, guitar center is far away, i when i go i can never stay that long (don't have my own car) so im typing to narrow down the selection to go the stuff i want and not waste time

thanx to all that gave suggestions
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX