Page 1 of 2
Hi, I'm looking into a 6 string bass. Heres my options/limitations

1.Not to expensive but enough for it to be good, not looking for a beginner bass.

2.I want good sound, like good pickups active or whatever,

3.my price range would be anywhere from 400-700 anywhere in there.

Also I saw and played an Ibanez SR506 and I thought it was pretty amazing, but I may be wrong would you agree or disagree with this bass pick.

and just tell me what bass you think I should go with---thanks

oh and if you have a link to a picture or a rating thing for the bass you suggest that would be great.
The first and, sadly, only 6 string bass I've played was the SR506 and it was amazing, the neck didn't feel thick at all. I loved it.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
yea I heard about the 5 sring version your 505 and I've heard nothing but good things about that one, oh and I forgot to mention I play Metal ,rock, classic rock, and some alternative stuff here and there , but mostly metal if that helps..i appreciate the input =)
SR500's are pretty good, i've heard, gonna be my next one.

but the yamaha RBX6JM is pretty neat, as well

as is the ibanez BTB sixers
myungs bass (Dream Theaters bassist)
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
I'm a 506 user, and a big fan of the bass. It sounds great... the ONLY problem I have is sometimes I wish the pups were a bit more midrangey/higher output, the Barts (Not just MK-1's, just bartolini's in general) is sometimes too warm for playing straight out metal. But, I digress, the pups are great for the price, pretty versatile, and no matter what sounds good.

It's a great bass, and if a 34 inch scale thin neck thin spacing is your back, go for it. If not, you might prefer the BTB 556, which is 35 inch scale thicker neck 18mm spacing.
haha
yea the Yamaha dream theater bass looked good anyone know the price range for that bass is? Also yea I played the 506 i think it'd be fine for metal, I thought when i played it the low-end was pretty good. just keep up the suggestions and if you can find the price of the bass that'd be good. Thanks
The SR506 is a great bass by any means, and has one of the thinnest necks and smallest string spacings you will find on a 6 string, making it a lot more comfortable, and easy to move onto from a 4 or 5 stringer.

If you're looking for something cheaper, rondomusic has some good choices, an SX, Brice or Douglas. Theyre said to be great quality for the price. Tho i'd only buy it if you lived in north america, shipping issues.
Sell you this one for £2000
Attachments:
P1010112.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by 4string-tsurigi

as is the ibanez BTB sixers

w00t
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
EADGBE is my guess
Correct but I tune it EADGCF, I've just aquired this one but I did own and use one from 1963 to 1969.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Sell you this one for £2000

the spacing on that seems like it would be a bit difficult to play other than with a pick.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by John Swift
Correct but I tune it EADGCF, I've just aquired this one but I did own and use one from 1963 to 1969.
cool

but if you just acquired it, then why would you want to sell it?

or are you showing off?
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
cool
but if you just acquired it, then why would you want to sell it?
or are you showing off?
I just put it on out of interest really so that some of you younger bassists could see a bit of UK bass guitar history, there were only 200 made.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by crazypeanutman
the spacing on that seems like it would be a bit difficult to play other than with a pick.
I used a pick in the 60s but I've gigged this one with my Blues band for a couple of numbers and used my fingers.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
I just put it on out of interest really so that some of you younger bassists could see a bit of UK bass guitar history, there were only 200 made.
ok, cool then
Yea I think I'm gunna go with the Ibanez SR506, but any more opinions or anything keep'em coming...
yea its my frist 6 string but not my first bass lol, I've gone through a 5 string ibanez soundgear and a Yamaha 4 string and I need one to be good not a cheap-o a good one thats not gunna let me down, ya know?
^It has passive EMGs. I used to love it, but now I've gotta say.....there are many other basses out there that will give you more bang ofr your buck than the Edge Q6.
the 506 is an amazing bass, that is if you like the small string spacing. personally i prefer wider string spacing, but that's just me. I still love the 505 and 506.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages between small and wide string spacing....
Wide string spacing = plenty of room to get fingers in for the poppin', neck that makes your left hand feel like it's holding a diving board.

Small spacing = hard to pop, comfy left hand.
k thanks man, this one also leans more torwards the 506 cuz I play metal...not much poppin' lol eben though i enjoy my primus and chili peppers as much as the next bassist lol, but for serious playing i'm metal at heart so I need the comfy easier to bass shred lol....thanks for all the input, anything else or preferences just keep'em comin cuz you might show me some awesome bass.....thanks
anit-pop, frizzle fry, and some others, well at least chili peppers.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
^les claypool almost never pops

What are you talking about?

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
What are you talking about?
pop. as in slap and pop.

sorry.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
www.rondomusic.net

the neck thru brice prestige z bass is an amazing bass for the price. i own one and i must say it has some amazing tone, and it plays like a beast for being so cheap. i highly suggest buying it if oyu are looking for something on a budget.
i would rather staple my own hands to a train, than pray on knees that judge and blame.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
pop. as in slap and pop.

sorry.

So you are saying Les Claypool never slaps or pops????

That was either a terrible misconception on your part, or a really bad joke.

wow that brice prestige bass looks really really nice can anyone back that up or go against that?
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
never pops.

all slap, all the time

Um, no.

Just listen to... most Primus tunes. Let me list a few.

The Riddles are Abound Tonight
Filipino Ray
One Better
Rumble of the Deisel
Is It Luck?
Tommy the Cat
Welcome to this World
The Pressman
Hamburger Train
Groundhog's Day
Mr. Knowitall
Frizzle Fry
Spegetti Western
Electric Uncle Sam
Natural Joe
Lacquer Head
The Antipop
Eclectic Electric
Greet the Sacred Cow
Dirty Drowning Man
Ballad of Bodacious
Power Mad
The Final Voyage of the Liquid Sky
Jellikit
The Return of Sathington Willoughby
Fisticuffs
Golden Boy
Shake Hands with Beef
Puddin' Taine
Restin' Bones
The Chasing of a Renegade
Year of the Parrot
Hellbound 17 1/2
The Heckler

I did that all by memory. There are a million others from the Highball with the Devil, Of Whales and Woe, Riddles are Abound Tonight, Big Eyeball in the Sky, and Purple Onion. No way can you tell me that Les Claypool doesn't pop.

Page 1 of 2