Right, as you can guess from the title, i am looking for a classical guitar piece. i am mainly a rock/blues guitarist and want to broaden my horizons. i have looked in the 'acoustic song' thread but i don't really know what i'm looking for. if i did it would have probably been a really good help. i can play a few classical pieces 'Romanza' being one, along with parts of Bach's 'Boiree (sp?) in E minor' so i'm looking for something a little more challenging than those two (I'm aware Romanza isn't that challenging of a piece), also something that i can find a tab for, as I'm taking piano lessons to help with my reading of music but am still struggling, so a tab would be awesome.

So too sum up, I'm looking for a classical piece that:

- is hmmm, of 'intermediate standard' - I've been playing guitar for nearly 6 years but hardly ever classically.
- a tab isn't hard to come by for it.
- and of course is good fun to play.

All help will be greatly appreciated,
Hairball
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

im having fun with the frog galliard by jon dowland. You have to drop your g string to F# (lute tuning) to play it. There are some difficult (at first) chords in the intro that i have fun playing. Canon in D by pachbel is fun as well.

Can you read sheet music at all? If you can, you will find alot better pieces. There is sticky at the top of this forum that dreadnought made that will help you alot too.

Some non "classical" songs (but still finger picking styles)-

Classical Gas- Eric clapton/ mason williams
Nothing else matters- Metallica
Your revolution is a joke- Funeral for a friend
Dee- Randy Rhoads
why don't you play greensleeves, my version is not very easy and not really hard, but it's not in tab
thanks guys, great help.

i really appreciate it.
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Here are the ones I plan on learning, in order of difficulty:

Canon in D - Pachabel
Bedroom Acoustics - Matt Bellamy (Muse)
Moonlight Sonata - Mozart
Sonate Pathetique - Beethoven
Rondo Alla Turka - Mozart

These all have excellent tabs on UG.

Others you can learn are:

Capricho Arabe - Francisco Tarrega
Asturias - Isaac Albeniz
Classical Soul - Oscar Lopéz

All extremely fun to play. I haven't suggest any that are boring/not enjoyable to play.

I see no Dreadit here
Last edited by yawn at Sep 9, 2006,
Entre Dos Aguas by Paco de Lucia. i can't play it myself but it's an awesome piece!
Here we go AGAIN.

Entre dos Aguas - Not classical, it's rumba flamenca
Classical Gas - Not classical, but great

You will be able to handle more technically challenging pieces, but will you have the ability of phrasing, colour, articulation and dynamic control? This are aspects found practically only in classical guitar technique. My suggestion, swallow some of your pride and play simple songs BUT make them sound good. (Not that I think you're arrogant)

Rather than just being able to play the notes of a harder piece, make simpler pieces sound good. As what Sor said, those people who overly emphasise techical aspects 'accomplishes nothing beyond making the correct sounds at the correct time'.
My suggestion, swallow some of your pride and play simple songs BUT make them sound good. (Not that I think you're arrogant)

I know what you mean and totally agree, i just wanted something a little challenging
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Vivaldi and Carcassi are the way to go.

The Four Seasons is great, the end of Summer is great for distorted electric (although it is classical and The Four Seasons should be played accoustically generally).
-Mike
Study in A minor. I don't know any recources for it off the top of my head, but if you happen to come across it, its worth learning. Not too difficult, and its a blast to play once you get it down.
Quote by HopePoisoned
Vivaldi and Carcassi are the way to go.

The Four Seasons is great, the end of Summer is great for distorted electric (although it is classical and The Four Seasons should be played accoustically generally).

He's looking for music for classical guitar, not classical music. Although I will say that Vivaldi's seasons are a lot of fun to play along with on electric. Those violins on Winter sound beautiful with some Satch-style screaming distortion, and it works well for all movements of Winter.

The only notable piece I'd like to add to the excellent selection noted by those before me is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach. I have an arrangment by Christopher Parkening that's just excellent, and not too difficult to play.

Slurgi
Quote by Slurgi
The only notable piece I'd like to add to the excellent selection noted by those before me is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach. I have an arrangment by Christopher Parkening that's just excellent, and not too difficult to play.
Could you please send it to me somehow?

I looked at the tab (rated four stars) and it looks very fun.

Do you think this tab is accurate?:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/johann_sebastian_bach/jesu_joy_of_mans_desiring_tab.htm

It's rated four stars, so I don't really want to waste my time learning something incorrectly...

If you could send me that arrangement, though, that'd be sweet
To be honest, in the case of guitar transcriptions of orchestral works or transcribed works of other instruments, there's technically no such thing as a 'wrong/inaccurate arrangement'. Simply because they are transcriptions modified for the guitar! However, it'll be relevant to ask whether the transcription captures the essence and idea of the original or not.

Thus transcriptions like Fur Elise and Pachebel's Canon will never be 'correct' on the guitar! But I've seen technically challenging transcriptions of it that come pretty close to the piano original. Then again, the range and limitations of the guitar will always hold us back and what may be simple on the piano, can get pretty tricky on the guitar, or sometimes even physically impossible. This includes Asturias, Sevilla etc.

Try these:
Leo Brouwer - Cancion de Cuna
Canon in D
Fur Elise (pretty hard though)
Quote by Slurgi
He's looking for music for classical guitar, not classical music....

Take it easy, I know. I gave him classical and accoustic songs, and just made a comment that one part is good for electric.
-Mike