ok so we have a science fair. i've been wanting to build a guitar and my science teacher says that would be fine for the science fair. but my parents say its not a real science project because there's no problem or trials or anything. how can i make this into a science project so i can satisfy me and my parents? i was thinking about doing 3 trials using 3 different types of nuts on the guitar but do you guys have any more ideas???? please help!
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
hollow out some cavities in the strat,fill it with coloured water and coulered oils and make it look like a lava lamp.
building a guitar is not a problem?, those parents of yours are out of their minds
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
so if i were to just build a guitar, what would i use for trials? my science teacher says for the observations you just say how the building is going. but for trials??

wait, for the trials should i play the guitar to like distortion, clean, and with added effects? would that work?

thanks for the replies and i really need a lot of help on this.
███████████████
████████████
i dont have enough money for different types of pickups...
███████████████
████████████
Buy 3 different bodies: Mahogany, Alder, and Ash, buy 3 different necks: Maple/Maple, Maple/ Rosewood, and Mahogany/Rosewood, then buy 3 different sets of PUs then post the results of the 27 possible combinations, very scientific and you'll have 3 guitars instead of one. Duh!

Quote by westo
i dont have enough money for different types of pickups...

It's for school so your parents *should* have no problem buying the parts for the Science Fair requirements.

Bonus Question: Now if you split the 3 PUs/ set into various combinations, how many trial results can you expect?
Last edited by Ippon at Sep 9, 2006,
i dont like permutations anymore...

something cheap involving one guitar that i make without any stupid kits please!
███████████████
████████████
Quote by Ippon
It's for school so your parents *should* have no problem buying the parts for the Science Fair requirements.

my parents have less money than i do.

sorry for the double post.
███████████████
████████████
i agree with ippon, try things with existing pickups, if it's humbuckers, try coil tapping them, messing around with the phase, etc.
i think i'll buy 3 different sets of really cheap pickups from ebay and see if they sound better when they're more expensive.

for instance i'll buy the stock Alnico 490R and 498T pickups for the gibson sg standard im building

then i'll buy a set for like $10

then i'll buy a set for like $20

then i'll blast the volume, play quietly, change distortion settings, and change the eq settings.

does that sound like a good project??
███████████████
████████████
no, build something like a transistor pulse generator or maby a binary calculator out of relays. guitars are not science projects
i agree with your parents on this one. now, if it were a math project. with the measuring and angles and such..it would be pretty cool. or shop. or electrics. but not so much with science
PM me for
well its physics, sound waves, and electronics. all of which we're studying this year. wood has to do with what we studied last year so that counts for what we're allowed to do this year.
███████████████
████████████
well, as long as you can explain the physics aspect of it you should be fine

though, building a whole new guitar seems a little bit overkill to explain frequencies, harmonics, tension and transduction, just use one you already have
i wanna build a guitar anyway. plus my other guitar has mini humbuckers.
███████████████
████████████
What you do is build a very basic lap steel guitar. Have only one pickup and a tone and volume know. You don't even need to have a fretboard, just a line on the wood at the different harmonic points along the string length. Use a wraparound tailpiece (I got one for $25). Get an oscilloscope, and show people how the sine wave changes when you hold different harmonics, and explain to your teacher what is happening. I remember googling natural harmonics and finding a site that goes into a lot of depth with them.
This lap steel guitar is now a science project
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."