I have a Epiphone acoustic that used to be my fathers, its 30+ years old, i dont know the model or the exact year of production. it is however, the BEST sounding acoustic i have ever laid my hands on, including martins and taylors. i am in love with this axe and was wondering if anyone had any sort of information for finding some info on this guitar.
www.purevolume.com/chops
GEAR:
Fender Custom Tele-
Invader (B)
ESP/LTD EC-400-
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N)
DigiTech RP-200
Zakk Wylde OD
Boss Bf-2
MXR Phase 90
Crate Blue Voodoo 120 Half Stack
If you can find the serial number this page should tell you the year it was made which might help narrow it down.......

One day the otters will destroy you all... humans.
apparently because mine's made in japan it's not supported by the serial number decoder, but thank you very much for the link.
www.purevolume.com/chops
GEAR:
Fender Custom Tele-
Invader (B)
ESP/LTD EC-400-
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N)
DigiTech RP-200
Zakk Wylde OD
Boss Bf-2
MXR Phase 90
I'm a fan of '70 vintage Epiphone guitars myself.
I'm sure I could narrow it down quite a bit, if not ID it if you posted a pic. (I tried you link but no guitar pics came up). Can you decribe it?
Body style/size? Fixed or bolt on neck? Small dots or large square inlays on neck?
This may help. Epiphone "Norlan" Japanese guitars in the 1970's were of the FT series and generally had 1 3/4" (at nut) neck width w/a zero fret. Basically they started at the Low end FT 120, and progressed upward numerically (FT 130 135 140 145 150 etc) from there. The higher the number, the better the quality. Go to Ebay and type "Epiphone FT" in the search box, and this will bring up only the vintage FT series guitars for sale. Within a few weeks, your model will surely come up. Look at them CLOSELY. Because there are only subtle differences in several models. Please let me know what you find, or post a pic.
I own an FT 145 Texan and just bought an FT 120 on ebay. I've owned some other Epipihones over the years.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Sep 10, 2006,
Show us a pic and we could probably tell you a lot about it. We need a good shot of the top, the back, and inside the sound hole. Then we can let you know what materials it was made from, the name of the body shape, and the scale
Not taking any online orders.
i dont have pics just yet, i will try to get them up asap. i know its a ft-120. i dont have it right here in front of my at the moment, but i'll get good pics of the SN, Soundhole, headstock, etc....
www.purevolume.com/chops
GEAR:
Fender Custom Tele-
Invader (B)
ESP/LTD EC-400-
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N)
DigiTech RP-200
Zakk Wylde OD
Boss Bf-2
MXR Phase 90
I bought an Ft-120 New in 1976. As I recall it $120.'ish w/chipboard case. Altho I had owned a couple of guitars previously, the Ft-120 was the one I principly learned to play on.
I just this week received another one that I bought on eBay. Like new, w/HS case for $116.(including shipping).
I consider it an exceptionally good deal as I've been watching them for months and have seen several in much lessor condition sell for that much or more. One's in VG condition as seem to run $150.+. And the HS case was a definantly an added bonus.
Nice bright tone that contrasts nicely w/the warmer, louder tone of my (also 70's vintage) Ft-145 Texan.
The only problems I've found w/these 70's vintage Epiphones w/bolt on necks is:
A: You must be carefull not to store them for extended periods of non use w/the strings strung tight. Generally from what I've seen this will cause severe warpage of the top between the body/neck junction and the sound-hole. I even seen cracks running along the fret board from the soundhole and "wavy" soundholes.
B. The zero fret makes making an F chord difficult. I found this the case on my old FT-120, the one I have now, and an FT-140 I owned. But it's not a problem on my Ft-145.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Sep 16, 2006,