Right then...

There was sum guy hu asked about the Phrygian Dominant scale not too long ago on here, basically about wtf it is.

And it was established that it was the 5th mode of the harmonic minor, and sounds more spanish than a chiwawa easting a tacobell out of a sombero that is being worn by sum guy (with a big fuk off beard) as he jumps over the border whilst taking a siesta.... it cud happen.

So this in turn got me thinking wat are the other harmonic minor modes and how do they sound? And examples of them in songs wud be nice too...

Thank u very much Musician talky people
i thougght it was the 3rd mode of the major scale? or is phrygian dominant different to the normal phygian. Cos Phrygian in the major scale is a spanish sounding scale and its used in a lot of metal
are you stoned? you definately sound baked...

well nevermore plays some scales like that... they just shred them talentlessly
hhhm ive only read about modes and while its interesting stuff if you get lost it cant seriously mess youre head up. phyrigian is one of the four main minor modes, along with aeolian which is a posh way of saying the minor scale. also theres dorian which is like a minor but with a special 'major' note that makes it have a happy quality. i think its the natural 6th that gives it the happiness. and finally theres locrian with is the darkest. i think bands like slayer use this mode alot maybe with out knowing but alot of the notes within the sclae are flats. like its has a 1, b2, b3, 4, b5 , b6, and a b7. btw dont quote me on these note intervals they are just a guess.
...all helpful advice so far haha

And ive had a couple of beers but that it

So ch715dallat ur right Phrygian is the 3rd mode of the major scale, BUT Phrygian dominant has a maj 3rd as apposed to a minor 3rd and is the 5th mode of the Harmonic minor scale!
E Phrygian: E F G A B C D E
E Phrygian Dom: E F G# A B C D E

ok?
  • Harmonic Minor: 1 - 2 - b3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - 7.
  • Locrian 6: 1 - b2 - b3 - 4 - b5 - 6 - b7.
  • Ionian #5: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - #5 - 6 - 7.
  • Dorian #4: 1 - 2 - b3 - #4 - 5 - 6 - b7.
  • Phrygian Dominant: 1 - b2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - b7.
  • Lydian #2: 1 - #2 - 3 - #4 - 5 - 6 - 7.
  • Altered °7: 1 - b2 - #2 - 3 - #4 - #5 - bb7.
Quote by korn-nut
are you stoned? you definately sound baked...

well nevermore plays some scales like that... they just shred them talentlessly
someone with KORN in their name calling NEVERMORE talentless? now i've seen it all
Quote by Johnljones7443
  • Harmonic Minor: 1 - 2 - b3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - 7.
  • Locrian 6: 1 - b2 - b3 - 4 - b5 - 6 - b7.
  • Ionian #5: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - #5 - 6 - 7.
  • Dorian #4: 1 - 2 - b3 - #4 - 5 - 6 - b7.
  • Phrygian Dominant: 1 - b2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - b7.
  • Lydian #2: 1 - #2 - 3 - #4 - 5 - 6 - 7.
  • Altered °7: 1 - b2 - #2 - 3 - #4 - #5 - bb7.

Fank oo very much. They all sound uber spazzy. Ill make them in a powertab and upload it here for reference.
Quote by ch715dallat
i thougght it was the 3rd mode of the major scale? or is phrygian dominant different to the normal phygian. Cos Phrygian in the major scale is a spanish sounding scale and its used in a lot of metal

Phrygian Dominant and Phrygian are two differnet scales.

Phrygian dominant is built from the harmonic minor scale, whereas the phrygian mode is built from the Ionian mode.

threadstarter:
There are two main minor scales, Melodic and harmonic.
If you have a basic understanding about how to construct modes of the major scale, you'll be able to learn to construct modes of these scales.

The Harmonic and melodic minor scales are a little harder than the major scale modes.

Major scale modes generally have a single name for each one: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian.

However, The melodic and Harmonic minor scales have roughly the same intervals, but with some differences.

For example,
If you have this scale: 1 2 3 4 #5 6 7 1

You can see, this is almost identical to the Ionian mode, except for the augmented 5th. Therefore, we call this scale "Ionian #5", which is the 3rd mode of the harmonic minor scale.

Im trying to write a lesson about them at the moment, but I have extremely limited time on the internet recently due to overtime at work.
Been away, am back
In G, the 7 is an F#. The b7 is an F. The bb7 is a Fb.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by Yespleasevicar
ahh question........ bb7? So wat wud that be in like G? like F?

bb means a double flat. bb7 is a diminished 7th.

So if you have a flat and apply that to the note G, you'll get Gb.
If you have 2 flats (a double flat) and apply that to the note G, you'll get F.
Been away, am back
That's correct. Take the G and flatten it.... and then flatten it again. Gbb sounds like F.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Logz, who of us misred the question?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
In G, the 7 is an F#. The b7 is an F. The bb7 is a Fb.

Oops..... I read the question too quickly. This answer is more accurate than mine.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by elvenkindje
Logz, who of us misred the question?

I think i explained generally what a double flat is, and you told him what it is in G
Been away, am back