Hey guys,

Please don't flame me, I feel like I have a unique situation that isn't really answered in other posts. I've been playing for the better part of a year, and I'm kind of tired of my setup (especially the amp.) I have a Squier Strat and a Fender Frontman 15G, which were really good to start out with but I want to move on. So I'm looking for a new guitar/amp for an affordable price. Max budget of about $500-600, but I would prefer around $400 if that was possible? I'm not very knowledgable about this stuff but I've heard good things about the Roland Cube and the Vox Valetronix AD15. Guitars, I'm not sure about.

I play most anything besides metal. Some fav. bands of mine are: RHCP, Foo Fighters, Guster, Jack Johnson, The Killers, Led Zeppelin, Queens of the Stone Age, Rock Kills Kid, Sublime, The Wallflowers. So I guess I'd like a versatile guitar/amp, but I don't want something that's crappy at doing everything. Is it possible to get all this on my budget?

Thanks

EDIT: Do you think I would be better off spending the money on a new amp rather than trying to get a new guitar too?
Last edited by fruity mcgee at Sep 9, 2006,
The valvetronix would be your best bet for an amp since you don't play metal, then maybe an Ibanez RG321?
Last edited by Stevo12312 at Sep 9, 2006,
Quote by Stevo12312
The valvetronix would be your best bet for an amp, then maybe an Ibanez RG321?

Ok thanks, any other opinions?
Are you looking to get a new bigger amp for gigging? And if so get the new amp, if thats all your going to get.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
As far as guitars go, the Ibanez JetKing could be right up your alley. It comes in 2 slightly different looking models, that sound the same. They have a coil tapping feature, which means you can change the guitars pickups from humbuckers to single coils and back again individually or simultaneously. This makes for a very versatile and affordable guitar which will no doubt suit your needs as a purely single coil guitar may not cover your Led Zeppelin and QOTSA needs. I've tried one before and was very impressed.

As far as Amps go then go for something like a vox valvetronix or line 6 or a small tube amp like a laney VC-15 (Think thats the right model). However unless you're buying a pure tube amp then you may want to look past 15 watt solid state amps. If you're improving and you want to practice in a band or whatever then a 15 watt amp wont cut it competing with other musicians.
I agree with the Ibanez RG321. Greatest guitar if you're on a budget.

As far as amps go, maybe a valvetronix? I don't know a whole lot about amps.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Thanks for all the help. I looked up the Ibanez RG321, and it seems like more of a metal guitar than anything else from what I've read. Does it still get good clean tones, because that's what's most important for me?
Please help with my question two posts above, but also, is it safe to buy guitars and amps used? Or is it smarter to buy them new? Thanks
I would invest in a nice combo amp around 50 W. Vox makes some nice ones. Stay away from Crate and Line 6 combo amps though. As far as the style of music you like, your guitar really isn't that bad. I would maybe pop some Seymours in it and spend the rest of your budget on the amp. Vox gets my vote here for the amp.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Yay Valvetronix! Vox definitely gets some serious high five points for making them. I love mine. I think probably an AD50VT, that should cover you unless you want some serious metal tones.
Quote by flyingjew34
I would invest in a nice combo amp around 50 W. Vox makes some nice ones. Stay away from Crate and Line 6 combo amps though. As far as the style of music you like, your guitar really isn't that bad. I would maybe pop some Seymours in it and spend the rest of your budget on the amp. Vox gets my vote here for the amp.

Exactly what I was thinking. You already have a perfectly suitable axe, just hot rod that mo' fracky and it'll be right on track. From the styles of music you reference I believe I would definately go with either a SD Quarterpound or DiMarzio SDS-1 in the bridge (powerful P-90ish single-coil), and would probably stay with the stock p'ups for mid/neck, especially if I was on a tight budget -- $60.

As for the amp, I would most often recommend a tube combo, especially if you already have an effects unit/pedals. In your price range would be the Laney LC15 and the Fender Blues Junior. There may be some others but that's all I can think of right offhand. I, personally, would opt for the Fender. I've owned both and would go that route simply due to the fact that the Fender comes stock with a 12" speaker rather than a 10" in the Laney. With the 12" setup you could always swap it out later for a Greenback which is an awesome speaker and complements the Fender perfectly. Going strictly from memory, the Fender runs about $400, the Laney about $360 (keep in mind these are 'street prices,' not MSRP).

And the great thing about these little tube combos is that they are waaay more powerful than your average SS combo. A decent 15-20 watt tube amp will flat smoke any SS amp of comparable size. There are quite a lot of folks out there that gig these 'lil monsters as well, so that's definately a testament in itself.
i have a AD30VT love it great for everything
EXECPT
really hard metal sounds like Pantera makes a great 80's Metallica sound
good bonus on the valvetronix amps they have fx built in
overall great amp i recommend it
Quote by fruity mcgee
Thanks for all the help. I looked up the Ibanez RG321, and it seems like more of a metal guitar than anything else from what I've read. Does it still get good clean tones, because that's what's most important for me?

Yeah it's a great all around guitar. I just sold mine. I did play mostly metal on it, but I played some blues, modern rock, and classic rock and it was just fine.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
I'd throw a set of Fender TexMex pickups in your guitar (yeah I know, SD's are nice, but you can get a pair of these amazing pickups for under 200 bucks Canadian). As well, I'd probably upgrade the tuners while your at it. I find low end Fenders/Squires have shiite tuners

As for the amp, Vox is gonna be the way to go, a Valvetronix series amp will do you just fine.
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Thanks guys, I think I'll probably just get an amp, and maybe a bridge pickup (though I have no idea how to install one, is it straightforward?) The Quarterpound seems nice. Is it safe to buy an amp used? Or should I get a new one?
Vox AD50VT. Heard alot of good about them and tried one last weekend. Although it's not really my thing because I play metal, it is certainly geared for playing a wide range of music excluding that.
Quote by fruity mcgee
Thanks guys, I think I'll probably just get an amp, and maybe a bridge pickup (though I have no idea how to install one, is it straightforward?) The Quarterpound seems nice. Is it safe to buy an amp used? Or should I get a new one?

Re: P'up installation...
Really simple, hell, even a... retarded monkey could do it. As for tools you're going to need a soldering iron (nothing fancy, just a plain ol' $10 model), and a smallish/medium Philips-head scewdriver, and a little spool of solder -- $15.

It's best to do as you're changing strings, so once you've gotten all the strings off simply unscrew the pickguard and gently lift off. Keep in mind that you won't be able to completely remove the guard 'cause it'll have all sorts of wires still running from it to the guitar. Just maneuver it 'til you can kinda turn it over on it's frontside. After that you'll be able to see which wires are the ones running from the bridge p'up and where they're attached (on a stock Strat there should only be two wires). Just make a mental note where each wire is connected to. Now, don't cut the stock wires as you may want to reuse the stock p'up later on. Just take your soldering iron and place the tip against the solder securing the wire you want disconnect. You'll see that it'll take a maybe 10-15 seconds for the solder to soften, it may even try to liquify, so be careful. Once you have both stock wires removed completely remove the stock p'up.

Before you start trying solder the wires of the new p'up it's best to go ahead and mount the new p'up to the pickguard paying close attention that you don't mount it upside down, or anything. Once you've gotten all mounted then you can go ahead connect the new leads and ensure that there's an ample amount of solder securing the connection, but again be careful with the solder as you don't a big gob of it running over and touching the other connections (all it needs is just a little dab). For a standard single-type p'up you'll have the positive wire going to the switch and the negative (usually the darker of the two) grounded to the volume pot. Really very simple, you'll be able to see exactly what I'm talking about once you remove the pickguard. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes. Then just replace the pickguard and all scews securing the pickguard to the body, and re-string.

Note: You'll only need to strip maybe 1/4"-3/8" insulation from the tips of the leads of the new p'up (just enough to make a good secure connection). I've seen some jobs where guys have stripped an inch or more and had exposed wire everywhere, this can be a bad thing...especially when leads start contacting each other.
Wow thanks a lot for the info, that's really helpful and must've taken a while to type up Still looking for the answer of whether to buy a new or a used amp.