Hi all:

Newbie poster here. I am an acoustic player who mostly plays in the Stefan Grossman style of fingerstyle blues, ragtime, celtic tunes. I've never used an electric before, but due to late night noise restrictions hampering my ability to play, I want to get an electric setup that can give me a rich, full 'acoustic sound' that I can listen to over headphones.

I an totally green at this, but after searching the web, I've come up with the following potential setup. I was hoping that experienced folks could let me know if I am on the right track, or if better alternatives exist:

1. The electric guitar needs a special 'acoustic' pickup. So far, I've come across just 3 of these -
i. Baggs X-Bridge pre-installed on Godin Solidac's. Reviews imply this gives the best acoustic sound of the lot.
ii. Piezo pickup (Duncan?) that is pre-installed on some Parkers, like the P-36.
iii Fishman acoustic pickup pre-installed on the Schecter C-1 E/A
Am I limited to just these 3 off-the-shelf models? Should I consider a post-purchase install of an X-Bridge on a different strat-style easy-playing model?
Will the strings matter much for a great acoustic sound?

2. Since I will be listening silently over headphones, I don't think I need a real amp. I originally assumed I might just use a mixer's headphone monitor out, but I've run across some 'virtual' amps that sound like they may be just what I am looking for:
i. Line 6 POD
ii Behringer V-Amp 2
Are these what I want? Are they enough? If I want great acoustic sound, do I need any other hardware in the chain?
If I ever want to play out loud, I can just feed the virtual amp into my fairly robust stereo, correct?

3. Headphones. I was assuming I'd use decent audiophile grade headphone:
i. AKG K701
ii. Behrdynamic DT-880
Is this a good idea? Or are there better headphone styles for this application?

A seond goal of this setup is to come up with a killer 'easy playing' acoustic guitar - I want to be able to teach some people fingerstyle guitar without the common acoustic hurdles of sore fingers/difficult barring/uncomfortable bodies. So I really want to find an electric guitar that is known for 'easy playing' fingerstyle (but without string buzz).

Any guidance would greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian
Vancouver, B.C.
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
An electro acoustic is still going to be too loud in his situation. Why not try a line6 variax guitar? http://www.line6.com/variax/stage.html I've heard they're decent. Obviously it won't be the real thing, but good enough for what you want. You won't need additional piezo pickups then. As for an amp, just look at some cheap preamps (maybe consider the V-amp2).

Its a hard question to answer, because an electric guitar cant and won't have the qualities of an acoustic guitar, and vice versa.

Would it hurt too play quietly on your acoustic? Good practice for dynamics Or is it really that loud.
Quote by Arlabester
what about an electric acoustic?
and then a set of headphones with a output jack converter thingy

I already have pickups to electrify my acoustics. But they don't silence 'em
I wouldn't advise plugging into a stereo with guitar, ever, because the signal is just too rough for what the speakers were intended. I've not had any experience with the POD or V-Amp, but from reading up on them in the past the POD XT is the best of the range and walks all over the V-Amp. The downside is that I think it costs something like £315 GBP. Probs be cheaper over there - we brits get ripped off for most stuff!
My Gear:
Vintage Metal Axxe Razer
Shine Orange thing
Westfield Strat Copy
Self Built Mahogany Thing
Collins CD28CENT Electro Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix 30 Watt
Roland Cube 60
EHX Big Muff
Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Jim Dunlop 0.7mm Picks
Quote by Dammit Missed T
I wouldn't advise plugging into a stereo with guitar, ever, because the signal is just too rough for what the speakers were intended. I've not had any experience with the POD or V-Amp, but from reading up on them in the past the POD XT is the best of the range and walks all over the V-Amp. The downside is that I think it costs something like £315 GBP. Probs be cheaper over there - we brits get ripped off for most stuff!

gar thats not what i ment, i have a converter that makes my headphones work wit my amp
So far, it seems I can find 4 'out of the box' guitars with acoustic pickups:

Parker P-36
Godin Solidac
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Line 6 Variax

Of the 4, which has the best acoustic tone? Which do folks consider has the easiest playability?

Thanks.
From the reviews I've seen, I'd recomend the Variax, I've only played one briefly, but it sounded quite good from the quick test I gave it

My next choice would be the P-36, very easy guitar to play, low action but very little fret buzz.

Fender Nashville Telecaster comes in a close third (normally I'd pick it first, but where your more of an acoustic guy, the Variax beats it). Teles are beautiful guitars and sound fantastic as electrics. Any Nashville I've played has lived up to my expectations

I have no experience with Godins, so I can't really comment other then I've heard good things.
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
I'll say get a thick-bodied electric, like a Les Paul or something. It doesn't need Piezo pickups, you can still get a nice warm clean with regular pickups.

Amp-wise, I'd recommend a Vox ToneLab and a nice set of AKG or Sennheiser earphones.

EDIT ooh, nevermind. Get that Parker.
Quote by Arlabester
gar thats not what i ment, i have a converter that makes my headphones work wit my amp

I was actually reffering to this:

Quote by IanS

If I ever want to play out loud, I can just feed the virtual amp into my fairly robust stereo, correct?
My Gear:
Vintage Metal Axxe Razer
Shine Orange thing
Westfield Strat Copy
Self Built Mahogany Thing
Collins CD28CENT Electro Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix 30 Watt
Roland Cube 60
EHX Big Muff
Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Jim Dunlop 0.7mm Picks
i dont like the parker shape, but its all preference. i kind of like schecter.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEC1EA

or no budget?
how about a Brian moore iguitar, there are a bunch of them.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BRI-913-EG--brand-37.html
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Danno13

Amp-wise, I'd recommend a Vox ToneLab and a nice set of AKG or Sennheiser earphones.

EDIT ooh, nevermind. Get that Parker.

Thanks. That Vox ToneLab looks interesting. I like the ound of Valvetronix amps. Any idea how it compares to the Line 6 POD 2.0?

Is there something specific that you like about the Parker P-36?

Thanks.