for someone wanting to emulate a metallica like sound, what would be a good distortion pedal?
ibanez tubescreamer
Member #23 of the Official I Hate Guns N' Roses Club

The Space

Quote by ACG
Yea man, DJ is an ugly ass. Stephanie on the other hand, woooooooeee what a fox! Especially in the early episodes when she's like 7...

*middle finger*
Quote by beholdthetaco
ibanez tubescreamer

really? I thought that pedal sounded a little light.
You are going to want to look at a Metal Zone pedal, and then scoop the settings on your amp and pedal. it has multiple different sounds, so I am sure you can find the one you want.
thats what kirk hammett uses if im not mistaken

the tubescreamer
Member #23 of the Official I Hate Guns N' Roses Club

The Space

Quote by ACG
Yea man, DJ is an ugly ass. Stephanie on the other hand, woooooooeee what a fox! Especially in the early episodes when she's like 7...

*middle finger*
tube screamer if you have a tube amp otherwise don't use an overdrive, I know people often use the mt-2 but I don't really know how it sounds, but really an overdrive pedal sounds bad on a solid state(I'd recommend you go to the shop and try as much distortion pedals as you can in your price range and find the best one for you out of it)
Quote by beholdthetaco
thats what kirk hammett uses if im not mistaken

the tubescreamer

he uses it with a mesa boogie tube amp just to shape his tone, but you will never get his sound from a solid state
metal zone is dog **** get a metal muff or a maxon sonic distortion both are much better.

but in reality to get that good metallica tone your gonna have to look into tube amps
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Guitar with EMGs. Mesa/Boogie Triple/Double Rectifier

But seriously, its hard to get a Metallica-esque sound out of a solid state.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
actually a mark series amp will hit those metallica tones better than a rectifier can
Quote by Syn Harvest
metal zone is dog **** get a metal muff or a maxon sonic distortion both are much better.

but in reality to get that good metallica tone your gonna have to look into tube amps

I agree on the point that it sure is better, but not really in the same price range and with a good tweaking you can sort of a nice sound, but I am not saying it'S super, just that it isn't dog ****
I'm not so much looking for lead guitar sound as much as rhythm.

Would you still recommend a tube for rhythm?
Quote by mophead710
I'm not so much looking for lead guitar sound as much as rhythm.

Would you still recommend a tube for rhythm?

If you can afford it go for it but it's expensive
EMG's will give you the sound. I have a solid state amp and the guitarport plug in for my computer and as long as I use my guitar with EMG's then I can get that sound.
I use the Digitech Metal Master Pedal, and I'm able to get a very nice Metallica sound out of it. Plus that pedal is able to handle a very large range of distortion. It's like having several pedals in one.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by pierce34celtic
excellent point Syn, In fact it was Hammett who originally had the mark, but Hetfield's rhythm tone is pretty much EMG's with a Mark Series (Either IIC+ or IV).

ya a three will hit their tone amazing as well. Hammett uses Rectos now so if you want his disgustiong St Anger tone go for that. but for everything else they use a Mesa Triaxis which is a pre amp of all mark tones so your best bet would be a mark series amp. Their tone isnt alot of distortion honestly a Mark IIC+, III, or IV will get it perfectly. James tone is all Mark amp their isnothing else in his chain