I was just adjusting the intonation on my guitar and when I play the high e open and then on the 12th fret, the 12th fret is always flatter. Is this how it is on all guitars? I didn't really know how to fix it, so I tried adjusting the action at the bridge and broke the string! Now I have to get another high e tomorrow.

Well anyways, does it mean that I need to adjust the neck via the truss rod, is it an intonation thing, or an action thing? Any help would be appreciated.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
It's an intonation thing. The 12 fret should match the 12 fret harmonic.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Yeah, that's not what I'm asking. The high e open does not match the high e, 12th fret. When I play the high e on the 12th fret, it is much flatter than the open high e.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Have you tested this with a tuner? You might just have bad ears...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
Have you tested this with a tuner? You might just have bad ears...

Yep.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Hmm, take it in to a guitar shop. They should be able to help you out there. Could need a truss rod adjustment, which I don't recommend unless you know what you are doing.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

You have to match the open string note with the fretted 12th fret note. If the tuner shows that your 12th fret is flatter, move your saddle closer to the neck. If you're curious about your truss rod, just check the neck relief. Fret the 1st fret low E string, and the 19th/20th (where the neck meets the body) and then see the 8th fretwire. There should be a clearance of at least 0.3mm-0.5mm. If its more or the string is just lying dead on the fretboard, then you need to adjust your rod.

*One more thing, make sure that your tuner is in good shape, by that i mean the battery is good, if its low, you cant get the accurate pitch, or if its a needle tuner, the needle will jump left to right after you pluck a note.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic