What are good/bad wood for electric guitar?

From what I've heard:

Bad: Plywood
Good: Maple, Alder.

Am I right?
Oh sheltered, sheltered child ...

Bad: Basswood, Agathis
Good: Alder, Mahogany, Rosewood, Maple
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Umm yeah, I'd definitely avoid plywood. Alder is good along with ash.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by flyingjew34

Better be a sheltered child than grossly misinformed child.
Basswood, bad? Oh boy. And where have you seen a rosewood guitar?

And back on topic, anything that's not made out of plywood, "hardwood", or agathis is generally trustable. Keep in mind though, that a $200 alder guitar isn't the same thing as a $1200 alder guitar, and same goes for any other good wood.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Sep 9, 2006,
Mahogany, Koa and Basswood are my favorites. I think MusicMan uses Poplar on the Steve Morse model, but theres also the quality of the wood that you must check at, theres some quite **** maple, and awful basswood so be careful
Quote by flyingjew34

Now what is your reasoning for basswood being a bad tonewood? High-end RGs are made from basswood.

"Bad": Plywood, Agathis (although anything is able to be worked with)
Good: Alder, Maple, Mahogany, Basswood...

There are plenty of other good woods like Koa and Ash but are less common. Maple is traditionally used with most hollowbodies.

BAD FOR ANYTHING: Plywood, "hardwood," Agathis

GOOD FOR BODY WOOD: Mahogany, Alder, Ash, Basswood, Poplar, Koa

GOOD FOR TOP: Maple, Alder, Mahogany, Koa

GOOD FOR NECK: Maple, Mahogany

GOOD FOR FRETBOARD: Maple, Rosewood, Ebony

That should help you out with you guitar choice. The "hardwood" mentioned is usually one of the other "woods" in the same category. Avoid it.

As for basswood, if it's so horrible, why is it used in expensive guitars like Ibanez JEM's?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by pifty

And back on topic, anything that's not made out of plywood, "hardwood", or agathis is generally trustable. Keep in mind though, that a $200 alder guitar isn't the same thing as a $1200 alder guitar, and same goes for any other good wood.

I haven't seen a rosewood guitar, but it's good wood. I was referring more to the fretboard there though. As far as basswood goes, it's not horrid, but you can do better.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by Xenn99

That should help you out with you guitar choice. The "hardwood" mentioned is usually one of the other "woods" in the same category. Avoid it.

As for basswood, if it's so horrible, why is it used in expensive guitars like Ibanez JEM's?

Xenn: Gazillion
Topic: 0
Quote by Xenn99

I thought neck and fretboard was the same thing, what's the difference between them?

What's the top?

newbie questions... I know
The fretboard is a different color from the neck. The fretboard is the side facing out, the neck is back of the fretboard.

The top is the body of the gutiar facing out, flamed maple is so sexy.
Neck=The material you place your hand around while playing on the fretboard.
Fretboard=The material you fret on.
Top=what it is, a top. Some guitars like Les Pauls are known for Maple caps to get both bright and dark tones. Just overall a covering.
Isnt Bubgunga used for necks?I thinks thats how you spell it.
Originally Posted by RideTheAnger13
Getting a spider II for a gift is like getting coal for christmas. Whoever is getting that for you obviously doesn't like you.
Quote by StevieRamone
do they even make plywood guitars, if so, which ones?

Yeah I have a Peavey Raptor that is plywood

I've never played on koa, I'd like to play one of Mustaine's old King V's to see what it's like.
anyone heard of jati wood?is it good?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
^I've never heard of jati, and I know a lot about different wood types...

As for why agathis is bad, it doesn't carry tones well. Usually resulting in a "dead" sound. It's just not meant for guitar wood, but because it's cheap, it gets used anyway.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by pifty

Quote by flyingjew34
I haven't seen a rosewood guitar, but it's good wood. I was referring more to the fretboard there though. As far as basswood goes, it's not horrid, but you can do better.

To both of you, Rosewood guitars are more common than you think. You can find really beautiful acoustics with Rosewood sides and back etc, really nice sounding.

As for the last post concerning agathis, because it just sounds less good than any other wood. Like a bad maple or something, really should be avoided simply because there are much better woods out there in the same price-range i.e. alder.