Page 1 of 2
So I'm a freshman in college, and I was looking for some sort of amp I could use in my dorm room. The only amp I have right now is a Crate XT120R (I know, I know, I regret it and wish I'd gone tube, but I was a n00b when I got it). I'm not really looking for an amp persay, but something I could use with headphones so that I could play at any hour of the day. My guitar teacher has this Korg Pandora's Box thing, so I was thinking something like that, that I could just use with headphones. I'm on a relatively tight budget, as I'm asking it for my birthday, so that's probably a stretch, but I was just wondering if you guys (and girls) could give any input.
Roland Microcube
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Check out the Roland Microcube or the Vox DA-5. Both are small amps with headphone jacks. They can be played on batteries too. Great little amps.
Quote by Connorcore
I'd go with a modeler like a podxt

Great idea, but he is on a budget. XT's are $300 new.
But if I'm just playing through headphones, would those sound as good as something that's built to be a pre-amp/effects modeler?
try the marshall mt-2 its like 60 bucks and can run on batteries or an adapter. the headphone jack is good too so its pretty good for the price
try the marshall mt-2 its like 60 bucks and can run on batteries or an adapter. the headphone jack is good too so its pretty good for the price

I had one of those. It didnt have enough distortion.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
They essentially are preamp/effect modelers. They just have a power amp and speaker included in a little box.
Quote by jmac72187
They essentially are preamp/effect modelers. They just have a power amp and speaker included in a little box.

I know that, but why pay extra money for a crappy power amp and a crappy speaker if I'm not going to use them?
Quote by Connorcore
How tight is your budget?

I'm not sure exactly how tight it is, but the price of the Korg or less would probably be a good approximation.

Quote by llanafreak44
the cubes are not the least bit crappy

I never said the decently-sized cubes were crappy, I've just never thought that those mini amps really sounded that good. So that's why I was looking more at something like the Korg.
Quote by llanafreak44
oh, i see, have you played the micro cube yet?

No, and I don't know if I'll be able to, I don't know of any music stores around here, and going to a guitar store isn't my number one priority on my one weekend home coming up.
even one of those digitech or the zoom g2.1 multi effect pedal things
they aren't good sounding through an amp (lets get digital digital!), but i batteried mine up and played my electric through headphones on a roadtrip and it sounded pretty darn good for using ipod headphones and stuff (i have the g2.1)
both of them are under 100 and good for headphones (when there not loud pretty much)
the microcube is actually a pretty good amp. If your not using the speakers at all I would definatly get a mfx processor.
wait a month or two until after you move into your dorm room,

if you're lucky, you'll get a place where you can be as loud as you pretty much want (within reason of course).

Last year, I had a Fender Blues Jr, a Champ, and a 18w. I had them pretty loud (not on max though, well, I had the champ pushed all the way pretty often). I didn't get any real complaints until I started pushing the 18w...
Then again, I was living on the bottom floor.
Also, if you're really lucky, your college will have some sort of sound isolated music room that you can use (though the availability might not be that great), so you can get whatever amp you want.
Last edited by greenbox at Sep 9, 2006,
THE CUBE you have to its great
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Quote by greenbox
wait a month or two until after you move into your dorm room,

if you're lucky, you'll get a place where you can be as loud as you pretty much want (within reason of course).

Last year, I had a Fender Blues Jr, a Champ, and a 18w. I had them pretty loud (not on max though, well, I had the champ pushed all the way pretty often). I didn't get any real complaints until I started pushing the 18w...
Then again, I was living on the bottom floor.
Also, if you're really lucky, your college will have some sort of sound isolated music room that you can use (though the availability might not be that great), so you can get whatever amp you want.

I've been in my dorm room for about a month now. And the sound doesn't really matter a lot of the time, but at night it can get kind of obnoxious. I'd also like to just have something small because my room isn't that big and I don't want to really annoy my roommate.

Also, I do have access to nearly soundproof practice rooms, although, I would feel bad using them when there are music majors trying to practice, and I should be in there to practice French horn anyway, and they're all the way across campus.
fender just came out witha new litte twin thing that might be worth checking out
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Quote by joel_grieve
Roland Microcube

naww i tihnk hed do good with a mesa dual recto

just for fun =DD
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

i got a small used practice amp last year for my dorm that was $50. im satisfied with the sound, even if it isnt anything close to my good amp. i would see what the stores around you have in the way of used amps and try a few out. the other thing i tend to do a lot this year is play though a preamp and then my computer. not the best sound, but its ok and lets me use headphones or my computer speakers in stereo. if you already have an amp you like, just look for anything you can find that is used, cheap, and gets a half decent sound.
go to a pawnshop. they always have really low watted amps for like 30 bucks other than that id go for a micro cube i hear there great i might buy one after i get my line 6 i want lol
Whos space?

Counter strike source = ddextromethorphan

add me
got a laptop with a mic input? get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapater (i think thats the right sizes) and download guitarFX3
thats what i use when the wife and kids are asleep since my guitar amp doesn't have a headphone jack. i just hook my guitar straight in (and make sure the mic boost is off in volume control> recording section)
fun to play with and the demo version is unlimited use with only a nagscreen at startup.
You could probably get a Digitech RP50 or something like that for next to nothing

Actually, buy a Smokey, I have one and they kick some serious ass. It's just an amp built into a Cigg box. It runs off a 9volt and will power a 4x12. You can mimic wahs, chorus, phase, rotary's etc etc etc with them too by just swinging them or using your foot.
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
I'm quite a fan of those Pandora thingys. Really, if you don't need a speaker, don't get one.

or maybe hook up a Line6 TonePort to your computer?
I think a small 10-20w solid state combo and some sort of cheaper multi-effects pedal like a digitech would be perfect. Your not looking for prime tone like you would with $1000's of dollars of gear, just a cheap immitation of that. I have four tube amps and a bunch of guitars and pedals but when I was in college I just had a small 10w Ibanez amp, Digitech RP300, and a guitar (maybe 2) with an acoustic and it worked out great.
^Computer speakers would work better for amp modeling.

Computer speakers + MFX = Amazing practice rig. Used Boss GT-8 and a pair of speakers would suit you perfectly.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by Danno13
I'm quite a fan of those Pandora thingys. Really, if you don't need a speaker, don't get one.

Huh?

So you all say the microcube the AD-5 or using my computer?

I still don't really understand the point of buying a micro amp if I'm not going to use the speaker. And a GT-8 is out of my price range.
Last edited by gibsonpenguin at Sep 10, 2006,
Buy a MFX processor and a FRFR speaker system. (Computer speakers, PA, Headphones, keyboard amp)
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

well the thing is that you can get a decent multifx or interface, then either run into your computer, or straight to its speakers. thats what i actually do most of the time now, run from my guitar into a preamp, into an interface, into my computer. its not going to give you wonderful tone or anything, but it can be quiet and works well enough for practicing. with all the software available for effects, amp modeling and the like, its a pretty good way to practice because you have almost unlimited sound possibilities at your finger tips. if you prefer to go with an actual amp, just get something used that has headphone outs and sounds ok.
Quote by jof1029
well the thing is that you can get a decent multifx or interface, then either run into your computer, or straight to its speakers. thats what i actually do most of the time now, run from my guitar into a preamp, into an interface, into my computer. its not going to give you wonderful tone or anything, but it can be quiet and works well enough for practicing. with all the software available for effects, amp modeling and the like, its a pretty good way to practice because you have almost unlimited sound possibilities at your finger tips. if you prefer to go with an actual amp, just get something used that has headphone outs and sounds ok.

Right- that's why I was looking at that Korg Pandora thing, you can output it to speakers or you can just plug headphones into it.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Right- that's why I was looking at that Korg Pandora thing, you can output it to speakers or you can just plug headphones into it.

...yes, that's what's generally referred to as a "guitar amp"

buy a Roland Cube.
Quote by Spazz128735
...yes, that's what's generally referred to as a "guitar amp"

buy a Roland Cube.

I know what an amp is you douchebag. Thanks for your opinion, I really like you backed it up with valid points on why you think that the Cube is a decent amp to get for what I need.
So can anybody give me more info on the computer programs you can use? So far, I'm still looking at the Korg over everything, because it seems to be more suited to what I want to do.

I don't need an actual amp, I don't need a speaker.
i use fruity loops for most of my guitar stuff actually. i run my input into the mixer where i can use a ton of different effects. i use a parametric EQ and a touch of reverb for everything, then i have almost anything else i could want with fully tweakable parameters. its not guitar specific, but it gets the job done. its got some awesome stuff that i keep finding. like just today i figured out how to tweak parameters automaticly while playing, so i can basicly flip on any effect without doing anything, as long as i know the timing.

as for other things, ive heard that some people like guitar rig, or something like that. i know nothing about it tho, so i dont know how that is. i have a demo of GT player, which is basicly digital stomp boxes. the interface lets you save a bunch of presets and stuff, and the interfaces actually look like stompboxes on your screen. its kinda cool, but i dont like it as much as i like using FL. see if you can get free demos of stuff people recomend so you can try them before you buy. and in the case of FL, you can do everything but save in the demo. meaning you just have to reset it everytime you play, but that isnt too bad for just a few effects anyway.
I was looking at a program called guitar rig that looks good and another called amplitube. Not sure about the cost or if they're actually any good.
Page 1 of 2