ok people. its 11:41 am, and joel's trying to make up his mind on something.

joel wants a multi FX pedal, a good one.

joel needs some advice. PODXT Live VS Boss GT-8 VS VoxTonelab

please click the link in my sig (the dmusic) to see exactly what i play. i need more balls essentially, and good effects. basically i just wanna know which is the best multi FX in that price bracket.

i'm leaning towards the GT-8, but i can try them, but i can expect them to order in 3 different pedals just for me to try. so i need to narrow it down before hand.

so, thoughts?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Well assuming you like the tone of your amp, the GT-8 would probably be your best bet. You can use four cables and put effects before your amp and in the fx loop. The POD and Vox are more amp modelers with decent effects, so if you are using it for recording or direct into the board, these would be better.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
well...i like the one of my amp, so i want something with good effects to use in conjunction with my amp, but i also want something for silent recording, and just recording in general.

obviously i can't always crank my DSL to get the best tone, nor can i get heavy death metal style gain, so i'm looking at these. would the Line 6 PODXT Live be a good compromise?

are the amp models on the boss actually any good?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
IMO, a tube amp is in no need of multi effect processors....especially when there is amp simulation involved.....

It's killing the tone....

Get an overdrive to boost, and run a effects only processor through the loop if you really want effects...

I use a TC Electronics M-300, and it works beautifully! Reverb, chorus, delay, flanger, phaser, tremelo, everything, and it all sounds great!
the fact is even if i boost this amp, it wont have the balls, nor the tone i want. i wanna buy a mesa, but not now, i just need some effects and such. i'm not building a professional rig yet
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
it's all a comprimise man, considering what tools you will use, and what you're willing to sacrifice. From what I can tell, the GT-8 works the best with amps, more like the stomps, but might not be the best amp modeler. I haven't heard a lot of clips of only the GT-8 that sounded great, but I have heard it recorded live and it sounded sweet. I haven't really heard "any" clips of the tonelab, nor have I tried one, so can't say anything about it. The podxt has some very good amp models for recording and practice, I've heard some excellent recordings from people. I also posted some of my own recordings in that other thread with the tonelab, I was able to get a pretty heavy sound out of it. I've heard much better recordings from other people though. I didn't like it much with my amp. If you have a parallel fx loop, it's usable, but it sucks a lot of tone compared to a quality rack processor.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
hmm. so really i have to choose between the one that works best with my amp or the one that works best for recording? ****. the main thing is, most recordings will be through my DSL anyway. but regardless i'll just have to take my amp to the music store and try it. meh. beggars can't be choosers.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
joel, maybe you'd wanna try a Korg AX3000G? The step sequencer is very nice. And note that the Vox Tonelabs is actually nearly identical (the effects are nearly all the same). I think it has to do with some sort of relationship between Korg and Vox? I have a small folder of Vox amps right here and it features Korg Toneworks and Vox Tonelabs and also, whenever I view Korg demonstration videos they always use Vox tube amps...

I was just thinking, if you're going to try out any multi-effects then you may as well try the Korg AX3000G.
The GT-8 has very nice amp models, but you can't use them with the same thought process as you would a real amplifier. Metal tones for example are better with less gain...somewhere around 20-30%. The GT is great for recording direct as well, since it doesn't have the frequency response issues of the Line6 (check out some of the details about the frequency response of their cabinet sims on thestompbox.net). The only one I'm not familiar with is the tonelab. I hear good things about it, but most who have compared it to the GT-8 will give the GT-8 the win...check out the website stated above since kewlpack has owned all of these units and has detailed notes about the pros and cons of one over the other.

As far as using it as an effects device...as long as you understand the analog/digital conversion process and keep your levels in and out of the unit fairly low, you should have no problems.
Actually I believe that the Vox/Korg boxes are basically a higher-end Vox Valvetronix in a pedal.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?