I've been recently learning what guitar mods can do for a guitars sound, feel, and look. (i.e. coil tap, treble bleed, paint job, scalloped necks). Which DO IT URSELF guitar modifications are ur favorite and why?
These mods have to be do it urself and plz elaborate on what each mod does.
Whenever i get a guitar, i ALWAYS take the tuners off and put Grovers on.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
well i rounded off around the neck joint on my squire so that it resembled an ibanez aanj and that worked alright. except you need to repaint...

i also sanded down the neck to make it a bit like a small radius wizard
well the first thing i do is dunlop locks. my favorite guitar mod is when i took a telle bridge and cut a strat pickgarud to make it fit. then i put the b-5 vibrato on that ****, ive been trying to get pictures up of it but i cant seem to find my digital camera
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
well a total remake is the best you can go, upgrading everything but the body (and neck if you odnt want to buy a new one) like my squier affintity, its going through painting at the moment and will be getting a tony iommi humbucker in the bridge (it was originally sss now it'll be hss) and 2 experiance hendrix (GFS) singles with new everything else
neck reshapes are always good, kill button, pickup rewinds/ magnet replacements are ok if they are needed, and of course like dimond dave i like the slimming of neck joints
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by Punk_Ninja
and 2 experiance hendrix (GFS) singles

hmm who makes though pups? never heard and i am intrested cuz hendrix rules

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by Jauntao
wat is a treble bleed?

A treble bleed is when u attach a smaller capacitor (i.e. a .001uf cap or a .022uf Cap) to a volume knob (described in the Document below) in a certain way with or without a resistor to create an increase in treble while u turn the volume down...It works great without resistors on humbuckers.
Check the pic below.
Oh yeah that pic is brought to you ....thanx to the UG'er " JimPlaysGuitar "
Attachments:
treble bleed.jpg
decals are nifty, ie the ones from http://blackmountainchili.com. apart from that of course hardware mods, the all mighty pickup mod, the add effects to the inside of your guitar mod (like an overdrive) and teh straplock mod (one of the most important for the performing guitarist).
Marty
i have to say i like the coil tap, works well for me its already built in on my schecter so w0ot! lucky ..not got enough money right now for a paintjob but..i probably wudnt on any of my guitars anyway..unless i was building one straight from scratch...also ALWAYS use grovers.
Quote by Stop Messin'
Whenever i get a guitar, i ALWAYS take the tuners off and put Grovers on.

I was gonna do that to my new guitar, but it already has grovers on it.

I usually put new p/u's on my guitars then get sum black hardware
I like modding the truss rod with a prototype laser cannon outfit.
I love anything with electronics, so i think pickup wiring and onboard fx mods are pretty cool, but I don't have a strat to work on, so most of them don't apply to me
Whenever I get a guitar I usually set it up first, tat inclues lowering the action asl ow was possible, trussrod adjustments. Then I take out the middle spring in the bridge to get a more flexible bridge (if it is a tremolo bridge) Then I shape the neck, and refinish it with tung oil. Then after playing a while, I do any sound modifications, like pickup height adjustments, replacements, electronics mods (coiltaps, new pots, the like) Then if I decided I really don't like it, I either sell it, or paint it.
Whacking on heavy strings and high action. Not exactly a mod, but there you are. Stuff like locking tuners and roller nuts are cool too, plus just painting a design or a slogan onto the body is something I always do. On Strats I also wire it so that one of the pots effects the bridge tone, 'coz it's way too treble-y for me, most of the time.

At the moment I'm planning on changing the bridge pickup on my Strat to a more bass/mid heavy bluesier pickup, but money is an issue, sigh...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Heavy strings are great, u just get soo much more bass and they stay in tune better, but high action? Hmm...
my dream strings are like a 13 or 14 - 56 or 58, heavey top low bottom, so there is not much diffrence in the strings, more of an even tone, i currently use 10-58 which is not nerely as good, and i hate people who are like heavy strings are hard to bend, wich is bs, cuz its way to easy to break a 9 when bending, and 10 is the lowest i'd go

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
taking the pickguard off a les paul and putting a clear one on.
and chaning the knobs and tuners is cool...
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by t heff
hmm who makes though pups? never heard and i am intrested cuz hendrix rules

Sorry for not checking on this earlier, but they're GFS (thats why i put GFS in brackets :p