Hey all i just got a new Ibanez JS1000 and like most first time locking trem owners, i am rather whammy-happy with the thing.. as in, i really use it a lot for alien screams, divebombs and the like.. not like i'm ABUSING it, but just using it a lot..
so here's the point: i've had the guitar for only like 9 days but i've already broken the High E string twice.. the trem works fine otherwise, like a 99% return to pitch etc, but is this normal?? how often can locking trem owners expect their strings to break with regular whammy use?? do I have a problem with my setup?
thanks in advance for the help guys..
cheers
Ibanez JS1000BP
Fender American Stratocaster
Boss GT8 Processor
Korg AX1500G
Quote by burnout_one
Hey all i just got a new Ibanez JS1000 and like most first time locking trem owners, i am rather whammy-happy with the thing.. as in, i really use it a lot for alien screams, divebombs and the like.. not like i'm ABUSING it, but just using it a lot..
so here's the point: i've had the guitar for only like 9 days but i've already broken the High E string twice.. the trem works fine otherwise, like a 99% return to pitch etc, but is this normal?? how often can locking trem owners expect their strings to break with regular whammy use?? do I have a problem with my setup?
thanks in advance for the help guys..
cheers

my strings break ONLY when im rough, or theyre old, i have a strat, i use adadarrio's
What kind of strings, and what gauge do you use?
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

a heavier guage may help, what guage are you using now?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I'm using Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's..
I had a strat too, and they didn't break that often.. this is due to the locking trem system which stretches the strings more than normal..
if someone's had experience with a locking trem, could you please let me know how often a string breaking is normal and nothing to worry about?
Ibanez JS1000BP
Fender American Stratocaster
Boss GT8 Processor
Korg AX1500G
Yea, you might be abusing the trem a bit much. Try not jerking as hard as you normally do on the trem. I don't know how hard you do that, but that could be the problem.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Abusing the trem is ok, if your strings are always breaking, then you're not doing it properly. I've tried to limit my up-dives to a certain point where it isnt maximum but usually there shouldnt be any problems if you pull it maximum. If you wanna test one, go ahead and buy a new piece of high e string and pull your trem to the max, see if it snaps.

About the pitch return, its ok, most of floyd rose system wont return to 100% pitch. Its rare, it usually goes about 98-99%. What tuning do you use?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic