Hi there,

I have recently become the owner of a new Line 6 HD 147 head and Marshall cab; however, when plugged into my Epiphone ELITIST SG and set to a more metal setting (like Line 6 Smash Red with little to no bass, massive treble, and maxed out drive) the guitar tends to emit HIGH PITCHED SQUEALS when my palm touches the strings for a palm mute.

When the amp is turned WAY up and the noise gate is on, there is NO noise what so ever; however, as soon as my palm touches the strings they HISS.

I figured it was the nature of the amp, but I plugged in my beater guitar, a LTD EC-50, and it did NOT have this problem.

The ELITIST SG has all stock parts as well as the EC-50, so my best guess was that the pickups on the SG are just a bit too hot. Also, I don't have this problem when the guitar is on the rhythm channel, but I really don't like the thicker and more hollow sound of the rhythm channel.

So I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations on how to best remedy this problem. I understand that maybe new pickups would help, but if there would be any way to remedy the problem by just adjusting some things I'd love to hear it!

Thanks again!
Woah. Would it be possible for you to record an example of this problem and post it?
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
Woah. Would it be possible for you to record an example of this problem and post it?

I should be able to tomorrow, as I plan to do some recording anyways.
Ok man, just bump the thread then. Until then though, is there any other kind of description you can give?
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Well like I said this problem really only happens on these super high gain, high treble, max drive, and no bass settings. Like on a more bassy, british metal setting, the guitar performs fine.

But you know, those deeper settings have no sustain and can't compare to that healthy sound of a lead metal guitar.

But as for a bit more description, if the guitar is just sitting completely motionless and I gently lay my palm against the strings I DO NOT get the squeal; however, as soon as I pick the strings I get a bit of a squeal.

I don't understand the correlation between the pressure of my palm and the movement of the strings that causes this high pitched scream, but its killing my ears and everyone in my band's ears!
I suppose your pickups are too high-output. Try lowering the tone control maybe (on your guitar)?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
I bet its the pickups. if its got the covered pickups (all gold or silver looking) they will squeal when the gain is turned way up because of the thick heavy covers. I have an Epiphone LP that has those covered pickups and it squeals at high gain settings but my other Epiphone LP with DiMarzio Uncovered humbckers never squeal.
^^^ maybe it's just because they were stock...... iffff it's on an epiphone LP, mine did that even on the uncovered ones, but after i dropped in some SD's it went away
Isn't that Line 6 a head version of the Spyder?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Hmm, that happens to me using a Line 6 II 112 with my strat. I don't know if it's the same problem, I think my problem is bad technique, though.