I have difficulty explaining to others how to move around the fretboard without them getting confused. The dirsctions i use is simply up and down the strings and left and right to each fret. This seems to make them confused!. Anyone use any other method like Port and Starboard or something!?!
I've always used the terms up and down the strings (Low E being down, high e being up) and positions when referring to frets (i.e. index finger at the 5th fret = 5th position).

Pretty standard and everyone I've played with knew what I was talking about.
Isn't position the fret below the middle finger?

I don't know how that wouldn't be the index finger, but I think a finger stretch could be the exception.
I just use "up" and "down" when referring to the neck. Low E Up High E Down... I also have a little rhyme to memorize the strings

"E"ddie
"A"te
"D"ynamite
"G"ood
"B"ye
"e"ddie
'Position' is used in classical guitar notation, it is indeed the fret which your index plays at. Instead, you can just use numbers to describe which fret, and for strings I use 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, with 6th being the low E. For example I might say "play at fret 5 on the 4th string." But I'm not a teacher, I only explain stuff to the people in my band.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by ShrednSurf
I just use "up" and "down" when referring to the neck. Low E Up High E Down... I also have a little rhyme to memorize the strings

"E"ddie
"A"te
"D"ynamite
"G"ood
"B"ye
"e"ddie

Thats the lame way to memorise them. This is much better:

Every
Awesome
Dude
Gets
By
excellently
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
i simply explain positions and such using "up" referring to the high e and "down" referring to the low e...as for which fret, i simply use positions based on where the first finger would be (ex. first position = 1st finger, 1st fret)...i'm not a teacher or anything, just when i'm explaining something to another guitarist
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
towards headstock=lower frets/down the neck, towards bridge=higher frets/up the neck. this works pretty logically because then higher frets correspond with higher notes. and then hi versus low strings works too.
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

Quote by axe_grinder247
i simply explain positions and such using "up" referring to the high e and "down" referring to the low e...as for which fret, i simply use positions based on where the first finger would be (ex. first position = 1st finger, 1st fret)...i'm not a teacher or anything, just when i'm explaining something to another guitarist

yes but when you say the thin string is the high one but its actually low to the floor it confuses big time.
Quote by K10P
yes but when you say the thin string is the high one but its actually low to the floor it confuses big time.

Exactly. It took me awhile to start thinking of the high e string as "high", because it was closer to the floor. It is normally confusing for non-guitarists. I just explain it as saying that when talking about a direction on the guitar, the terms up and down refer to directly to pitch, not to physical location.