so i just got my first guitar yesterday (its an electric) and have been fooling around with it. its a cheap beginners guitar, so it came with a 10 watt practice amp and a ****ty pick and what not. but i don't like it, the pick that is. it doesn't feel comfortable and it seems too flimsy. so what i've been doing is using a dime. my question is will the dime do damage? is it a bad idea to use it? and what kinda picks should i look into?
personally i like the dunlop tortex(like 2.99 for a 12 pack)
there really grippy and feel good. and i wouldn't reccomend a coin of anykind. it will work in a pinch but i thing it could damage the strings
ok, thanks. the only reason i even thought of it was because i thought i read somewhere of a guitarist who used to use a coin. it was awhile ago though, so i can't remember who. thanks though, i'll check those out.
yeah, you're probably thinking of the guy from zz top, he uses a quarter, that crazy ass. anywho... yeah a dime isn't gonna hurt nothing, maybe wear your strings down a little faster, but who cares. Next time you go to the guitar store look for a big bucket of picks, or a rack of them, and get several different sizes for like 2 dollars, and see what kind you gravitate too, then buy more of that size/brand.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
oh yeah, billy gibbons. thanks, that was bugging me. thanks for the advice, i'll go check around the little shop doen the street.
Quote by batman123
yeah, you're probably thinking of the guy from zz top, he uses a quarter, that crazy ass. anywho... yeah a dime isn't gonna hurt nothing, maybe wear your strings down a little faster, but who cares. Next time you go to the guitar store look for a big bucket of picks, or a rack of them, and get several different sizes for like 2 dollars, and see what kind you gravitate too, then buy more of that size/brand.

fuck you billy gibbons isn't a crazy ass, he's a fvckin awsome guitarist and also he was Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitarist.
Gear:
-Brownsville BMAG3 (acoustic)
-Fender 70s Reissue 60th anniversary Stratocaster
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-Roland Digital Piano HP-4500
-(other stuff)
Brian May uses a 6pence piece as well.
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
Quote by fas11030
fuck you billy gibbons isn't a crazy ass, he's a fvckin awsome guitarist and also he was Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitarist.
Damn dude settle the hell down. ...give yourself a coma or something jeez.

A lot of people use coins of many kinds. Usually on acoustic guitar. Theres actually thick picks made of different metals (brass, nickle, silver..etc.) that you should look into if you really want to persue the 'coin' feeling/sound.

edit- i dont know exactly how anyone could 'give themself a coma' or if its even possible...but godammit this kid would be the first!
Billy Gibbons used a peso

Also, as said, May.

And I think crazy ass was a compliment.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!