I know they've been around for awhile but I've had my head under a rock for the past couple of years but I finally got around to getting their "Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?" CD and I'm very impressed by it. Emily Hane's vocals go very well with the '80's New Wave sounding music that the rest of the band produces. Yet they cross over with some electronic drumbeats on some songs to give it a newer sound to it. I'm very impressed by this CD and will go looking for their other one soon. If only the other bands that try to sound like '80's New Wave bands would sound like this.
Yeah, OWU is quite a good album. They definitely sound best as a new wave band. They venture into Sonic Youth-y type Indie Rock on their second album Live It Out, and it just doesn't work as well.You should check out their unreleased album only available to download called "Grow Up And Blow Away." There are some amazing tracks on it. Live It Out is worth a listen as well.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
OWU is definitely their best album, but a lot of people I know prefer Live it Out. Grow Up and Blow Away is really good just for the songs Raw Sugar and Soft Rock Star although it has some other good ones too. I've seen Metric live four times, including the first show where they re-added IOU and Soft Rock Star into their setlist. They're one of my favourite bands.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

i like OWU, has some cool songs.
btw pumpkins, wich Wu tang album do you recomend?
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
i like metric. its so sexual to me.

i dont have any cds from em though, any good recommendations on which one to buy first?

i was thinkin OWU but im not sure
I saw Metric at Reading a few weeks ago and thought they put on a reasonably good show, although I do agree that they sounded a bit over-rehearsed, not to mention that their guitarist looked like he was about to faint from nerves. I prefer Old World Underground to Live It out, although the song 'Empty', among a few others, definitely makes Live It Out worth buying.

To the post above: get OWU first, then buy Live It Out.
Quote by unplugtheradio
i like metric. its so sexual to me.

metricsexual? ;_;
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by pumpkins_rule
OWU is definitely their best album, but a lot of people I know prefer Live it Out. Grow Up and Blow Away is really good just for the songs Raw Sugar and Soft Rock Star although it has some other good ones too. I've seen Metric live four times, including the first show where they re-added IOU and Soft Rock Star into their setlist. They're one of my favourite bands.

I saw them on that tour as well. I have to agree that Grow Up And Blow Away isn't that great, but has some amazing songs on it. Did they play Rock Me Now when you saw them? Never been that big a fan of it.

I also had the privelege of seeing Jimmy Shaw, play an acoustic set before a Stars concert. He played Between The Bars by Elliott Smith, some old songs he wrote with Torque Campbell, and Down by Metric with Amy Millan. And Yesterday I saw Broken Social Scene for the third time and first time with both Jimmy and Emily there. I was happy to see Emily sing Anthems Of A Seventeen Your Old Girl.

Quote by sponj
i like OWU, has some cool songs.
btw pumpkins, wich Wu tang album do you recomend?

For sure get Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

After that I'd recommend some of the member's solo stuff
Liquid Swords- Gza
Supreme Clientele- Ghostface Killah
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx- Raekwon
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by trev_smith12
I saw them on that tour as well. I have to agree that Grow Up And Blow Away isn't that great, but has some amazing songs on it. Did they play Rock Me Now when you saw them? Never been that big a fan of it.

I also had the privelege of seeing Jimmy Shaw, play an acoustic set before a Stars concert. He played Between The Bars by Elliott Smith, some old songs he wrote with Torque Campbell, and Down by Metric with Amy Millan. And Yesterday I saw Broken Social Scene for the third time and first time with both Jimmy and Emily there. I was happy to see Emily sing Anthems Of A Seventeen Your Old Girl.

Yeah they did play Rock Me Now. I've always liked that song, it's kind of strange/quirky. But yeah, the title track, Raw Sugar and Soft Rock Star are easily the three best songs on the album.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

I liked Old World Underground, even though I only listened to it a few times. Seeing them live was a decent treat too. I wasn't the biggest fan of Live it Out though, but I wasn't ever into them enough to consider listening to it more.
^
I'm the same way as most of you. I started listening to UWO and then tried to listen to Live It Out. I don't think I even made it through the CD. I'm still totally hooked by OWU.
It's the perfect time of year somewhere far away from here.

UG's Barenaked Ladies nerd
they played at my uni at some point in the last couple of weeks and i didn't find out til afterwards ah well. hustle rose is a cool song.

unluCKY...
from daylight...
...into darkness