Page 1 of 2
Ok so i got this strat copy like 6 years ago (first guitar) and it blows...so im gonan fix it up heres what it looks like now...

what i wanna do is repaint it black with a red racing stripe going from the strap pin to the bridge (width of bridge) i also want to change pickups and hardware. than i have my creative ideas of having like a knob or a switch wired into it to control distortion...and to put led lights under the pickups preferbly white...so there like escaping the black pickguard im gonna be getting tell me what you guys think
sounds like a cool plan!

i'm currently sanding down my first guitar. looked exactly the same. now the front and back is sanded down to bare wood still got some work to do but thinking about just staining it. the hard ash body has a nice look to it.

what's the brand name on yours btw?
the head stock says epi...but im pretty sure its not epiphone because they dont make strat style guitars...

i started grabbing all my painting equipment. two cans of black. two cans of laquer. one can of primer. and one can of red paint. ive also decided on pickups. im thinking of the emg-81 for the bridge and the emg-60 for the neck. i was gonna put a single coil in the middle but i need that room for the batteries and maybe a led light...new pics soon
ok than im assuming its an epi..i dont know...but it just doesnt sound good and it didnt look great so i decided to mod it...me and my friend bobby finished sanding the front and thats all im sanding (just gonna add another coat of black on the back) its primed and haning on the tree now...
road block!!!
didnt sand down the back or the sides enough...thus i gotta do both of those all over again
life sucks lol
ok re did the sanding almost all the way done sanding...should be done sanding tomorrow...man i hope im doing this right...hows it looking so far guys?
phot update!!!!

primed and taped and ready to rock and roll

my friend painting

me painting

after paint

tape taken off
Im going to guesse you only did one coat of black, as from the picture it looks like there are spots where the white primer shows threw. I dont know how you feel about retaping it but ild tape it back up and touch those back up. btw, i have the same hoody in red, its too small tho, and i stoped wearing it awhile ago...wow, make that along time ago. other then that, good job so far.
Plyyyywoooooood!
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by PainIsPower
Im going to guesse you only did one coat of black, as from the picture it looks like there are spots where the white primer shows threw. I dont know how you feel about retaping it but ild tape it back up and touch those back up. btw, i have the same hoody in red, its too small tho, and i stoped wearing it awhile ago...wow, make that along time ago. other then that, good job so far.

yea i know i gotta touchup the stripe and then add another coat to black chances are that'll be done like 2morrow or today maybe but yea i think im doing pretty well for my first time...i just bought another body on ebay so i'll be starting a second one soon
Looks cool! When you're finished with the second black coat, it will be really nice. But, well i like the way it looks with one too. If i were you i couldn't decide
it does look nice with one but i think two is the safe bet. im not sure if im going to add laquer or not..cuz i have a schecter omen 6 that has no laquer and i love it. so im debating that
yea the omen-6 only has a sealer, id use that if i were you, i love the finish on my omen-6 better than some american fender necks ive played..really fast, ive heard you can use just tung oil with no sealer or anything and it'll give you a really fast finish.
yea i know really nice neck...i got a few questions for you guys? how would i wire some white led lights unde the pickguard strong enough so they would show through a black pickguard? and where can i find a neck that will fit a strat copy but has 3 knobs on each side?
we'll you can get warmoth to make you a neck to your specs but its going to be really expencive, like 300 bucks or more...and im pretty sure that pickguard is opaque so leds arent going to work, youll need a translucent pickguard for that.
You can get clear pickguards...

but I thought he ment so you could see light from the spaces where the pickups are and the 5 way switch slot and such. Just anywhere light would seep through. But a clear pickguard would look beast w/ led's
^yes but you can see all of the messy wireing and the unfinished pickup routings, id go with a translucent one or maby a mylar mirror one, if you take some superbright leds and mount them close to the mylar you will be able to see them from the other side
well is there anyway i could have the lights be betwene 2 humbuckers and inside a black colored pickguards
Rattle Can!... thats like Mexican style lol
My Music
[thread="475365"]My Fender Strat[/thread]
Starter of the Caught my Guitar on Fire club.
Make a shape or something out of them. A skull or an evil smile. Or a symbol like the devil horns ( okay, that might be a little too hard)
Meh. I have them on my Squier. Theyre not much different than the stock squier ones. But then again I havent compared them back to back. I think the fender squier ones were a little better. I have a question, if its a black guitar, why'd you sand it all the way down to bare wood, then put the stripes and more black on it? Rather than just sanding the finish off and adding your stripes.

http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/web%20site%20first%20page.htm

Does that answer the LED problem?
Last edited by Rocknificent at Sep 23, 2006,
Quote by Rocknificent
Meh. I have them on my Squier. Theyre not much different than the stock squier ones. But then again I havent compared them back to back. I think the fender squier ones were a little better. I have a question, if its a black guitar, why'd you sand it all the way down to bare wood, then put the stripes and more black on it? Rather than just sanding the finish off and adding your stripes.

http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/web%20site%20first%20page.htm

Does that answer the LED problem?

because the original paint job looked just so ****ty and i was told to do it that way
no, the guitar fetish pickups are definately better than the squire pickups, you have to buy their nice ones of course but even their expencive ones are pretty cheap.
im considering the paf crunch and than a couple of the single coil sets they have on clearance
did anyone notice how the epi from ebay had two holes in the backplate for adjusting the tremolo screws?

I took my plate off so I could get to them, but that is cooler.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
all you have to do to undo it is unscrew it...ive never adjusted it in my life either
The project seems to be going well I'm gonna do something like that to my Pacifica, once I get the money and time that is.

Quote by ibanez9589
what i wanna do is repaint it black with a red racing stripe going from the strap pin to the bridge (width of bridge) i also want to change pickups and hardware. than i have my creative ideas of having like a knob or a switch wired into it to control distortion...and to put led lights under the pickups preferbly white...so there like escaping the black pickguard im gonna be getting tell me what you guys think

Did I see my name?
Sent from my iPad.
Page 1 of 2