What style of music is the Mixolydian mode used in most often?

That is all.
come and join the youth and beauty brigade

#5 member of the club that isn't terribly prejudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
Really? That's it? Cool.
come and join the youth and beauty brigade

#5 member of the club that isn't terribly prejudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
Blues tends to use Mixolydian quite a lot, too.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
To use an obv example of mixolydian sound, the opening chord structure to Sweet child o' Mine is in D mixolydian
Last edited by Yespleasevicar at Sep 10, 2006,
Mostly Jazz because of the dominant 7th
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

The Mixolydian mode is very similar to the Ionian (major), its just got a minor/flattened 7th. Therefore it will sound very similar and convey basically the same sort of happy feeling, but with an edge.

So if you think about it, and how widely the Ionian is used, the Mixolydian could just as well be used in a lot of music styles. If you were going to incorperate it into your own music I would advise you not to worry about using it in any style of music that fits the major scale.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Last edited by notoriousnumber at Sep 10, 2006,
^ *technicality* it has a minor seventh, not a diminished seventh.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I'm pretty sure you could use mixolydian in any style of music if you wanted too.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by psychodelia
^ *technicality* it has a minor seventh, not a diminished seventh.

Ahh, true, but it is a 7th that has been dimished
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

its also used quite a lot in country and country rock. lynyrd skynyrd, for example, used it all the time. the solo in sweet home alabama is a textbook example.
Quote by notoriousnumber
Ahh, true, but it is a 7th that has been dimished

No. It's a natural 7 that's been flattened. Therefore, it's a minor 7, aka b7.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje

I agree with you on this one. A minor 7th is one flat. A diminished 7th is two flats.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Quote by elvenkindje

Im really dragging this out, the definition of diminished is lowered by a semi-tone, as this seventh has been flattened it is therefore diminished.

You know, Ill just edit my post to clear all this up.
Quote by Robbie n strat

^Well.. if you're going to be pedantic about it. The definition of diminished is reduction by a semitone of any perfect or minor interval.

b7 = minor seventh.. reduce that minor interval by a semi-tone (bb7) and you have a diminished 7th.
I remember in my jazz band last year we played a song called The Chicken, and i recorded a solo in mixolydian. It sounded perfect i guess that's why i used it, not to mention the song itself is in the same mixolydian scale haha
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Johnljones7443
b7 = minor seventh.. reduce that minor interval by a semi-tone (bb7) and you have a diminished 7th.

Ahh, is that the technical term for a bb7? Not just a musical "slang"?
Quote by Robbie n strat

Quote by Ace88
I remember in my jazz band last year we played a song called The Chicken, and i recorded a solo in mixolydian. It sounded perfect i guess that's why i used it, not to mention the song itself is in the same mixolydian scale haha

Ah.... jaco. Sweet.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out