Hey all,

I've been playing a Fender Strat pretty much since I first started about a year and a half ago. Don't get me wrong, I love the guitar, but there are just some things I can't make it do. Basically, I want a guitar that I can use to play Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal and the likes. I almost definitely want a HH configuration on it.

I've heard many people say that Gibson guitars aren't worth the price and others say you get what you pay for. So, basically, I'm just looking for opinions on the best way to go. I am on a "students" budget, so please don't get too outrageous on the prices. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Note: I'm very partial to SGs. (I'm a Sabbath fan).
i think an ESP/LTD would be right up your ally, try to get a model above the 400 series, also jacksons are very nice guitrs with HH config aswell
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
The Epiphone G-400 is a great buy for its price
if you got nothing good to say say nothing at all.
SG all the way.

even if you don't have the money for a gibson, go with an epiphone sg (g-400)

believe me, it'll be worth every penny. i have and epi. one right now. it's so versatile, it can do anything. and i basically play what you do.
i just noticed u said u were partial to SGs, in that case def look at an ESP/LTD viper
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
Quote by VAM
Hey all,

I've been playing a Fender Strat pretty much since I first started about a year and a half ago. Don't get me wrong, I love the guitar, but there are just some things I can't make it do. Basically, I want a guitar that I can use to play Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal and the likes. I almost definitely want a HH configuration on it.

I've heard many people say that Gibson guitars aren't worth the price and others say you get what you pay for. So, basically, I'm just looking for opinions on the best way to go. I am on a "students" budget, so please don't get too outrageous on the prices. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Note: I'm very partial to SGs. (I'm a Sabbath fan).

Go play some Epi's and see how you like them. I've heard alot of people say bad things about Epiphones but I played my cousin's Epi Les Paul Standard over the summer and it was spectacular. Then again, he is at playing guitar.

But I have a MIM Strat, and a Crate ap. Even though I hate my amp, I will admit that it can make a Strat sound pretty mean with it's distortion. Maybe check-out some amps, too. What amp are you currently using?
^Agreed. A amp with harder distortion, or even a metal petal, will give you more of a metal sound then a whole new guitar imo. Even with single coils a strat can sound pretty nasty with the right amp/pedal.
I'm actually really happy with my amp right now. I bought a Line 6 Flextone III and I'm really diggin' it. Pedals are definately an option though.

I considering the Epiphone SG 400 (Black, of course). But, I've often heard that it's a good idea to replace the pickups in them. If someone could recommend me some good pups (with a price range if you don't mind), that'd be awesome.

By the way, how hard is it to install new pickups? I'm not really aware of the process.

I'll probably head over to Guitar Center tomorrow to try a few guitars out. Until then, thanks to all who have helped and to all who do in the future.
Was at my Epiphone dealer yesterday , saturday and they had a sg style guitar white with active emg's. Don't know if it was a g-300 or 400 . He said it was a limited edition. cant find info on the Epi site.
Quote by Grab For Life

Your opinion is wrong.

Yeah i think you should go with the g400 shouldnt be a bad guitar, Also look at schecter, washburn etc Just get whatever feels nice.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
I would go for a schecter c-1 hellraiser. Complete opposite of a strat, which seems to be what you're looking for.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
most deffinatley an Epi LP or SG, and the white one with EMG's is on musiciansfriend for either 5 or 6 hundred i think, but i'd get the G-400 and put a Duncan Custom or JB in the bridge and a Jazz or '59 in the neck, my personal favorite combo is the Custom/'59
The more expensive Epis ($400 and up) are pretty good.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
I also recommend the Epi G-400. The limited edition Arctic White G-400 one with EMG's should be able to cover that tiny bit that your Strat can't.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ibanez sz 320 good for everything basically i love it i have one
Whos space?

Counter strike source = ddextromethorphan

add me
Just pick up a mid-range ($400 - $800) Epiphone Les Paul or SG. They should get be able to get you the sound you're looking for.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.