Hi i'm reasonably new to guitar and went to the local shops in NZ and came up with either a Squire Fat Strat or a Epiphone LP100 Les Paul

The Les Paul is $320 USD ($500 NZ)
and the Squire is $380 USD ($600 NZ)

I really like the Les Paul tone and like the classic 70's zeppelin style rock.

Should i go for the squire and buy a cheaper amp or the Les Paul and go for a better amp?
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
id say the epi LP, i much prefer the epi LP's to the squire, and epi are good for that zeppelin sound you want, from the ones ive tried out
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

I live in New Zealand so can't really do much better
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
plus Jimmy Paige played all that stuff with a gibson, so the sound might by some odd chance be closer to sounding like theirs with the epi.
Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy
One tip. Stay far very far from a Squier, I think you'd have better soudn with an epi than a squier for the price.
ESP Horizon FM Standard
Spider II line 6 30 watt
Uber Metal - line 6 effect
Squier '51 is a decent cheap guitar. 1 Humbucker, 1 Single coil, basswood body. Should cost a shade under $300. It's on sale at Musician's Friend for $150 atm - spend the rest of your $300-400 on a pair of good pickups and then get a good amp.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Do you know if they will ship overseas? I emailed them but no reply
Quote by marsvoltaguy
Isn't that a metalish guitar?
Quote by marsvoltaguy
Quote by dantiberian
Isn't that a metalish guitar?

Also costs more than $500 in Australia so would probably be worse in NZ

OP: You might want to look at some Australian websites if we share the same warranty coverage, like we seem to share alot of other things.
Look dude, buying one of those guitars is a complete rip off.

Why?

Because half of what you're paying for is a shiny brand name on your headstock. They are not good quality.

I reccomend getting a Japanese made guitar (circa 1980s) from a second hand store, no name brand, that feels comfortable to play, stays in tune, the basics. Find the one with all these qualities and the best pups you can afford (and best looks too, I guess).

It'll still sound better than your two options, and you can always swap out the pups later for superior ones. Then you'll have this sweet ass guitar that will be original.

You will most definitely regret buying a cheap fender or gibson further down the line.
Quote by pokescab
Look dude, buying one of those guitars is a complete rip off.

Why?

Because half of what you're paying for is a shiny brand name on your headstock. They are not good quality.

I reccomend getting a Japanese made guitar (circa 1980s) from a second hand store, no name brand, that feels comfortable to play, stays in tune, the basics. Find the one with all these qualities and the best pups you can afford (and best looks too, I guess).

It'll still sound better than your two options, and you can always swap out the pups later for superior ones. Then you'll have this sweet ass guitar that will be original.

You will most definitely regret buying a cheap fender or gibson further down the line.

Any particular brands you would recommend? Cause I dont think we have as diverse brands as other countries (Im assuming that NZ would have less choice as they have a population of 20% of Australia)
Gear in New Zealand and Australia is sickeningly expensive compared to the rest of the world. It's really unfortunate, because it puts even decent intermediate gear out of the reach of the people that need it most.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by AustBeginnerAxe
Any particular brands you would recommend? Cause I dont think we have as diverse brands as other countries (Im assuming that NZ would have less choice as they have a population of 20% of Australia)

I think I said no-name in my original post, didn't I?

EDIT: Yes, I did

My cousin, for example, just picked up a 'Canora' from this second hand guitar shop in my town.

He was planning to swap out the pickups but when he plugged it in it sounded kickass, so he'll be leaving it for now.

Basically, just browse around all the second hand stores that you have access to, try out every single guitar that looks even slightly appealing, regardless of brand, as you never know what kind of surprises you'll find.
Quote by Crunchmeister
Gear in New Zealand and Australia is sickeningly expensive compared to the rest of the world. It's really unfortunate, because it puts even decent intermediate gear out of the reach of the people that need it most.

Yeah but I believe that the minimum wage is higher ($12.75 in Australia)
Quote by pokescab
Have you ever had a job?

You work at your local fast food joint and you'd be very lucky to be getting over 8.

Depends on your age (I think, you might want to check your AWA, cause its now illegal to be paid less than $12.75, according to my IR lecturer), and yeah i have worked before, but only time I was getting paid as low as $8 an hour was when I was 14.
lp, but didn't you post this thread a couple of days ago?....
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Between Those two Id say the Epi, but if I were you I'd look into Schecter.
Member #20 of the Guitarists Born in 1991 Club PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Member Of The Anti - Ibanez Militia

Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...

Quote by -blaze-
anti-depressants for emo kids.