So my friend is bringing a Strat from singapore and he needs advice on it. I havent ever brought guitars on a plane before so what would you do?
Put it in its gig bag and toss it in the overhead bin. If it's too long (My Fender is, my Ibanez isn't), ask the Stewardess to put it in the closet up by the door.
or if they wont let you do that, put it in a case, but only the guitar with FAA approved locks (trust me, you want locks)
Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy
I think what that guy means by only the guitar, is to take the strings off, or loosen then fully. Cabin pressure could probably crack a neck..

I took my Schecter on a plane, and they didn't let me carry it, despite the fuss I put them through, but it's got a hardshell case so I hope those baggage guys did their worst!
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
I was wondering about that too, because I'm not sure if there would be space in the overhead locker,might have to take the neck off and put it in a bag.
So many possibilities, so little ability.

Quote by Asthia
You know you're a guitar player when you tell your father what note he's yelling at you in and then improvise over the top.
i jsut put mine in my hardshell case, and they put it under the plane, i never thought about cabin pressure, and its been on 6 plane rides...
SUCK IT

__
|_|
/|\
\|/
/ \
/ _ \
I really don't like shipping guitars on planes, but seeing as how he is coming from Singapore, UPS/Fed-Ex is gonna do the same thing. Soooo:

I would put it in a gig bag and put it in the overhead compartment. That way, you know the baggage bitches loading the plane aren't mis-treating it.

Quote by ChordProgressiv
I was wondering about that too, because I'm not sure if there would be space in the overhead locker,might have to take the neck off and put it in a bag.

Why don't I decapitate you and try to reassemble you after a 10 hour flight? The guitar isn't gonna be the same when you relieve the pressure on the neck and body like that.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

^Agreed. De-assembly is probably the WORST thing you can do to a guitar when you fly it.