i believe this is the name of the big bass that goes an octave or 2 below a regular stand up bass and is played by two people at the same time. anyway, how common are these things? ever used in any notable recording sessions? know where i can hear an example of one being used? i would for sure love to use one of these things on a really heavy song.

sorry if there is already a thread about this, this is my first time in the bass section despite having been on this board for a few years.
I though Dr. Octobass was Spider-Amp's arch nemesis, but i guess i was wrong
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
Yeah them basses were only used in the 17th centuray and no they didn't go 2 octaves below a normal tuned bass. They had frets, were 8ft tall and yes were played by 2 people, one for the bow and one for the fretting. Not even a picture of one, I did a project ages ago about the origin of the bass and anyways that big bass turned into a double bass after removing the frets and making it alot smaller.

Also, 2 ocatves below a normal tuned bass would make it nearly impossible to hear since we have a low hearing range in the bass department. Plus the strings would have had to been nearly 2 metres long and about as thick as telephone poles!! Haha.
it was tuned C#F#BE with the E being the same as on regular bass

if you want to hear that low of a range, look up Jean Baudin.
Nuclear Rabbit > Every other band ever in the history or everything
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I want one. Don't know What I'd use it for, but it'll be really cool to own.
Are you ready for some hardcore man on Manatee action?
I believe Vaghner (sp) brought them into the orchestra, as well as adding tubas and more double basses. I doubt there are very many recordings with an octobass, and it probably isn't the most audible thing in the orchestra.
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
His name is spelled 'Wagner'. I'm not sure about the octobass, but he did use Tubas in his pieces.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"