I know I'm going to get so badly owned for this, but I'm fed up.

Can someone please explain, in really really simple terms, how you can do them reliably?

I've read how to do them elsewhere, I've seen people do them, and they've explained how to do them, but I still can't get it right. They'll explain how to do it, but then do it so quickly I can't even see what they're doing.

I'm told that you fret the note just as you would normally (not like a harmonic), pick the note and then catch it with your thumb... but the only way I can see that working is if you bend your picking hand really weirdly...

I've been playing guitar for a few years now and I reckon I'm just above average with everything but I just can't seem to get this right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
www.myspace.com/stcircusthemighty

Check it out. If you like what you hear, friend me.

Quote by Rikifield
Nice acoustic man! And your voice is melting with the acoustic sound...
It's hard to describe. It's easier to understand if you see someone do it.

What I do is I rest the pick on the string, holding it so that only the very tip of the pick sticks out from under the thumb.

Then, push the pick with your thumb. It goes 'through' the string, and as it rings, it hits your thumb and makes that harmonic. I find it easier on the fat strings, cos they vibrate more.

You gotta find the places to do it, though. It takes experimentation and practice.

Good luck!

EDIT: a deep vibrato really helps bring the harmonic out. See Zakk Wylde. He's the master of this.
Thanks very much =)

Hopefully I'll have more luck in future.

Quote by Rikifield
You also have to find the 'sweet spot' on the string. Fret a note and try and do the harmonic at differnt points along the string with your picking hand.. You'll see that a clear harmonic only occurs at certain points.
Gear:
Ibnaez RG1570 Prestige
Maton EM225C Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Pedal
They are also easier to hear when you have distortion on. Like a woman, they really scream when you hit the right spot!
Thanks for all the advice I was genuinely expecting to get flamed for not knowing something that everyone else seems to do so well.

Quote by Rikifield
Quote by shoted
Might just be for me but I can't seem to get a decent pinch unless the guitar volume knob is on full and the pickup selector is on the far right (looking down at it).

True, albeit depending on your pickups, the bridge pickup is generally more responsive to pinched harmonics, or any harmonics for that matter.
I found pinch harmonics really difficult to get right even after being given loads of advice on them. The way i got them was just to keep trying and eventually you end up holding your pick in a way that they are easy to do when you want to do them (ie. hold them low down - "choked up on the pick").
Personally i find them much easier to do on the higher strings and around frets 2-10.
Also they are much easier to do with a stiff, blunt pick like a stubby Jazz III (the black ones).
My friend was having trouble doing them the other day and it seems most people hit the string too hard with their thumb and not hard enough with the pick which is why a stiff pick seems to help.
Finally, try fretting fret 5 on the high e string then picking just where the fretboard ends - that should get you a good harmonic and then experiment along the string for others.
Hope this helps a bit; but practice is the only way you will get it!

(A good bit of overdrive or distortion helps an awful lot too - otherwise it will just sound percussive if you get it slightly wrong)
Gear:
>ESP LTD FX-400SM
>LAG Jet JM100 with Swineshead Venom (bridge) and Warthog (neck) pickups
>EHX Bigg Muff Pi
>BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
>Epiphone Valve Standard (Class A 15Watt)
It isnt two actions it is one simple smooth action on the string you don't have to hit it....then try and hit the harmonic you are hitting the harmonic the millisecond after your pick edge strikes it...if that makes and sense.
I had to read that through three times, but yes it makes sense after doing so.

Quote by Rikifield
Quote by fatpratmatt
They are also easier to hear when you have distortion on. Like a woman, they really scream when you hit the right spot!

im gonna sig that
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!