So, I'm about to start a hardcore/metalcore/metal band with some friends, and as a result, a lot of our potential setlist involves tremolo picking on the open lowest string.

Working with a metronome, I can play 16ths at somewhere between 120-140 bpm. Beyond this I can't. Looking at As I Lay Dying songs etc., I need to be up to about 180bpm and able to perform different rhythms.

Anyone got any advice on how to improve?
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
What I do everyday: Up-strokes on the A-string, alternate picking/tremolo picking on the A-string. Then up-strokes on the E-string, alternate picking/tremolo picking on the E-string. Start slowly and then just pick up speed. It has helped me, I can play the first fast riff in Maze of Torment when I'm warmed up, and it is definetly around 200BPM...

Hope that helped
Last edited by -Alek- at Sep 10, 2006,
Thanks! So just keep tremolo picking with a metronome?
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
ya man just keep practicing and you will get faster and faster their is no secret to it
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Be sure to check if your technique is correct. It would seem anchoring slows tremolo picking down as i recently discovered.
Yeah, what these guys said. Just practise your tremolo picking with a metronome, and don't anchor (put you right hand on the guitar), something I'm gonna have to unlearn now >

Why is it called tremolo picking anyway? It has nothing to do with tremolo.