I currently own a Peavey Bandit 112 (solo series)

It's a great SS amp - but there's the problem. I play blues and so a valve amp is a must.

Would building a tube pre-amp and using the "Power amp in" give me a decent valve tone??
Sorry for the double post! but if this is possible, could anybody provide a link to a tutorial for building it??
I don't know much about the amp, but if it has an effects loop you could bypass the solid state preamp with a valve one. If not, you can just add a valve preamp infront of the ss one, making sure the ss preamp settings are as plain as possible (no extra distortion etc). What you add in front could be anything, from a pedal to something that sits on top of the head. You can buy valve preamps as pedals (the Hotbox to V-Twin), or you can make your own.
Purists will tell you that it still won't sound the same unless it's all valve in the signal path, and they're right but it doesn't matter - it will still sound "valvey", but not identical to a vintage valve amp.
If you build it yourself, you could do something easy like the Tubedriver, which uses starved plate fixed bias tubes and runs on a 9v battery, meaning you won't have to deal with high voltages.
You could buy a tube pre-amp (many swear by the ADA MP-1).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
for all the money you spend on it, it might just be cheaper to get a new amp.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I normally use a Marshall AVT100 (hybrid amp) for practising, and providing that your not gonna be hitching that volume past 8.5 to 10, a valve pre-amp will really warm up your sound, especially on cleans, if you saturate the pre-amp tube and put some high mids on. It doesnt quite match my JCM 800, but go fo the mod!
I'm not really after rack-mounted stuff - I only want my amp to sound more like it's got valves - ok, then i guess i'm looking to build a head that i can use with my Amp's 1x12

Any ideas where i can find a diagram/tutorial for building a 60/80watt valve head??

I have no idea what OHM rating it is - i've googled it, and it appears to be 8 OHM. Does that sound right for a 1x12 SS amp?!?!?!?
a tube preamp would cost around 30-50 to build.

and btw
[most] speakers/cabs are rated at 4, 8 or 16 ohms, so yes, that does sound right.
Quote by gulliver
I'm not really after rack-mounted stuff - I only want my amp to sound more like it's got valves - ok, then i guess i'm looking to build a head that i can use with my Amp's 1x12

Any ideas where i can find a diagram/tutorial for building a 60/80watt valve head??

I have no idea what OHM rating it is - i've googled it, and it appears to be 8 OHM. Does that sound right for a 1x12 SS amp?!?!?!?

haev you built anything electroni before?
Not as such

i'm modded a couple of my pedals - but i've not built anything from scratch

is that gonna be a problem?
no, we have greenbox, he will help you, he's the resident tube amp god, maby build a real mctube, they sound pretty decent..
^ I wouldn't call myself a resident god. Though out of the regular posters, I'm probably high up there with people who know something about tube amps.

If you modded a couple of pedals, I'll assume you know how to solder, and about those basic things like what a resistor and capacitor is. The cheapest way would be to build a tube preamp, but if you really wanted a small project, there's always building a full tube amp (maybe something simple and nice, like a champ). And using your peavey 112 as a cab.

BUT! If you want to build a tube preamp, you'll need a few things:
1) A schematic (free, the McTube is fairly easy)
2) A decent enclosure. (Less than 10 bucks)
3) The parts for the circuit (should be about 15 bucks I think)
4) With the McTube, 2x 12 VAC power transformers (I think radioshack has these for $6 ea, but you might be able to find them elsewhere)

Since I wanted to build the McTube to be more pedal like, I mounted everything inside, but if you're going to be using it as just a preamp, then you might as well mount it on top of the enclosure. It'll make changing tubes a whole lot easier, along with the fact that you won't need to get a really big enclosure like I had to. Since you'd be mounting components both inside and outside. If you don't quite understand what I'm talking about: http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2002/Gilmore-Jr.html

The one thing you want to worry about with tube amps that you typically don't have to worry about 9v pedals are the high voltages. Which you don't need to worry about until after you've plugged it in for the first time.

The one thing you might have a problem with is mounting the tube socket. They use 3/4" holes. Atleast, I had a problem till I bought bigger drills, etc. Wow, I just wrote all that completely assuming you were gonna build a tube preamp. Anyway, hope that helps.

The other (much easier) solution would be to buy a pedal that emulates a tube sound.
A tube preamp is quite easy.

Find your favorite tube amp amp. Build the preamp. Attenuate it down to line level if need be, and add a DC blocking cap, and walla! You're done.

As Greenbox pointed out, there are some more well established projects.

This is one I've heard excellent clips off: http://www.hoffmanamps.com/projects/tube_box.htm
I've also heard good things about the Real Mctube.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I think I might build a complete amp and use the 112 for a cab.

How powerful do i need to make it? and where can i get info/diagrams/tutorials on how to build one of these beasts??
how powerful do you want to make it?

if you want to use your peavey as a cab, look at how high the speaker is rated and use that as a guideline, unless you don't mind picking up a new speaker.

plenty of places offer layout diagrams and schematics for tube amps. Look around, though I'd recommend to stay fairly simple.
well, my world tour hasn't started just yet....

So i guess i'll be ok with between 30 and 60 watts...

greenbox: how's the champ you built? and is there a layout on tHe InTErNeTZ?
Champs are literal tone machines. It's only about 5w, but they're still loud enough that you wouldn't want to max it out unless you have good sound proofing. As far as wattage goes, remember, tube amps "sound" louder than solid state amps at the same wattage. So you could go to something like a guitar center and try out their tube amps to see how loud you need it.

As far as the champ goes there are plenty of layouts available (a few sites offer kits as well).
here's where I got mine:
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/champ_5f1_schem.gif
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/champ_5f1_layout.gif
Last edited by greenbox at Sep 12, 2006,
The champ is a great choice for a first build...easy, and great tone.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
i suggest browsing around www.18watt.com

godly blues amps. great community. TONS of help.

when building a tube amp: READ WARNINGS. You will be deally with DEADLY voltages. not just potentially deadly, DEADLY DEADLY. so if you screw up, dont forget to say hi to steve for me.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line