i've been reading quite a bit about those two musical directions,but i havent gotten the full idea about serialism,can someone please explain ?

oh and no wikipedia plz,i've already done that !

TheDarkWolf
Wolv
Serialism is an atonal style of music, ie it has no key. It is based around a 'tone row' which is a row of the twelve notes, in an order which you compose. You can only use each note once in each twelve note row. The music is then created by playing this tone row, playing it backwards, and manipulating it in various ways. Schoenberg was famous for writing serialism.

Minimalism I'm not sure about, I think it's just a really stripped back, simple form of music which contrasted with big orchestras.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Minimalism involves taking a basic theme (or riff if you prefer) and lots of repetition, changing the theme slowly, adding notes, taking them away. There is often lots of layers to it, with different instruments playing simplified or elaboraed versions of the theme (heterophony)
It was inspired by Indonesian gamelan music
My rig:
Ibanez GRG170DX with Swineshead Warthog and Venom
Ibanez TCY10
Vintage V99CS
Boss MT-2
Boss OD-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Zoom 606
Randall RG50TC
Marshall MG50DFX
a famous example of minimalism is Terry Riley's "In C." It's pretty trippy. Read the wikipedia article on it at least for the premise. If you want to listen to the song, be careful, it's about an hour long!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_C
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

Composer Philip Glass is pretty much THE minimalist composer, and he is quite awesome at that. It creates a very trancing effect at times. Listen to him! I believe he did the soundtrack for the experimental film "Koyaanisqatsi"
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Recommended threads
embed video?
triggerhappy19
Last post:
by triggerhappy19
Hey guys
The9
Last post:
by Helicopters!