zvex fuzz factory
2 14%
fulltone 69 fuzz
0 0%
Other (specify)
0 0%
Voters: 14.
hey UG, need your advises
i have a dilenma. i'm looking to upgrade my pedalboard. so far i'm gonna keep it moderate by only having a wah, fuzz, distortion, overdrive. i already have a vox v847 and a boss ds-2, which i'm happy with. i'm already set on getting a maxon OD-9 for overdrive. Now i just need to decide on a fuzz. i like the hendrix and frusciante solo sounds, so i'm considering of getting one of the following: Big Muff pi, russian big muff, zvex fuzz factory, or fulltone 69 fuzz.
the thing is that there is no possibilty of me trying any these pedals for myself, so i need your advise and experience.

these are the things i need to know on the pedals?

big muff pi: i hate the video and sound samples, only time i hear it sound good is when frusciante uses it. can it be set to a more natural sounding and less over the top fuzz like frusciante does?

Russian Big Muff: i never heard or seen anyone play it, but it's recommended a lot. i hear its more edgier and grittier than the american one, but does it have the same amount of sustain as the american one? can i get hendrix/frusciante sound from it?

zvex fuzz factory: never tried it but i really like the video demo. can i get a hendrix sound from it? and do you think it's worth saving up for? it's a bit pricey.

fulltone 69 fuzz: only heard one sound sample and i liked it, i think it'll get me the hendrix but i need more views on it first. i'll have to save up for longer, or is it just worth getting the fuzz factory?, it's roughly the same price as the screeprinted fuzz factory.

if it helps i play an america strat through a marshall 8080 valvestate amp, but i'm gonna get a marshall Jcm900 next year.

thanks in advance
Just to help you, I've got a Russian Big Muff:

I can get perfect Frusciante tones out of it, and room for more sounds, it'll do your all out incredibly smooth and toneful fuzz, and then if you change pickups, it'll do more rocky sounds like a really distorted amp, sounds amazing to me.

There probably isn't much difference between the USA and Russian, but I thought the USA was way too over the top, and didn't sound too great to me. (I had the USA one for a while and took it back)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by ezequiel89

big muff pi: i hate the video and sound samples, only time i hear it sound good is when frusciante uses it. can it be set to a more natural sounding and less over the top fuzz like frusciante does?

fruciante uses the big muff in the solo in Dani California.

and thats pretty much what it sounds like

another example would be Hummer, by the smashing pumpkins, sortof a compressed, really smooth fuzz, which you can get easily

but, on the other hand, if you put the sustain knob all the way down and the volume up a bit, you can get a more crunchy tone

my two cents, i just bought a little big muff a few days ago
Yea, it can be made less in your face, but that's not what it's made for.
Don't be afraid to care"

so will the russian big muff have creamy fuzz too but less in your face?
and a hendrix sound?

also, anyone know about other fuzz pedal?
Yea, it's still in your face, but depends what you're using with it (I use neck pickup and an OD as a booster) but the USA one was way too over the top for me.
Don't be afraid to care"

so the russian big muff is kinda the same as the american big muff but less over the top, right?
and you can get creamy fuzz and a gritty fuzz depending on how you use it, right? just making sure.
i'll have a maxon od-9 or ds-2 as boosts, how would they effect the sound/russian fuzz?
I'm confused now, more people have voted the big muff pi USA but i've had more recommendations for the russian big muff through posts. i'm so indecisive!!!!
www.myspace.com/fuelfortiredminds

Fender USA Stratocaster
Marshall BluesBreaker

Vox V847
MXR MC401 Boost
Roger Mayer Octavia
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Maxon OD-9
Line 6 Tonecore Verbzilla
Boss Space Echo RE-20
Line 6 DL4
Boss TU-2
Yea the Russian one can do both.

And when paired with an overdrive(when I do it), the sounds gets a lot more full, creamy, sweeter and fuzzy)
Don't be afraid to care"

Watch this video: EH USA Big Muff

It's bull**** that the Russian and USA version sounds the same. The Russian is more agressive...more distortion than fuzz. It's more like distortion with a hint off fuzz... The USA is 100% fuzz. But...a Big Muff is a Big Muff. Nothing sounds like it!

It's really recommended to try both versions before you make your decision...

The other two pedals you suggested, are completely different boxes...fuzz boxes.
I heard good stories about the Zvex Fuzz Factory and the Fulltone '69 Fuzz...I think you can get a nice fuzztone out of it a la Jimi Hendrix! They both are a lot more expensive...and you will get not as many tonesuck compared to the Big Muff's (which need to be modded for something like true bypass).

John Frusciante uses BOTH a (old) USA Big Muff and a Zvex FF...

Sorry, but I would suggest to try them all out...but the Zvex en Fulltone are a lot more expensive...

Personally my vote goes for the Russian Big Muff...but that's just my taste...
thanks, that was very helpful, just one question, if i boost a Big Muff (USA) with my Boss DS-2, will it sound like mostly fuzz but with a little distortion. if the russian is more distortion than fuzz then there's no point as i already have a distortion pedal. what do you think?

Fender USA Stratocaster
Marshall BluesBreaker

Vox V847
MXR MC401 Boost
Roger Mayer Octavia
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Maxon OD-9
Boss Space Echo RE-20
Line 6 DL4
Boss TU-2
Quote by ezequiel89
thanks, that was very helpful, just one question, if i boost a Big Muff (USA) with my Boss DS-2, will it sound like mostly fuzz but with a little distortion. if the russian is more distortion than fuzz then there's no point as i already have a distortion pedal. what do you think?

Well...there're just a few people I think who use the Big Muff for rhythm guitar work...it's really a pedal which you kick in for a screaming guitarsolo..you don't use it for more things I guess. It does that leadtone job really really well. And like I said before...a Big Muff is a Big Muff...there're really no pedals which sounds like a Big Muff (neither Russian, neither USA) Muff...it's such a special sound! So a Big Muff next to a Boss DS-2 isn't a bad choice!

When you boost a Big Muff,it will sound even bigger. I don't know how a boosted USA version sounds...but I have a sort of Russian Big Muff (well...actually a replica of a old Big Muff II, on which the Sovtek/Russian Big Muff is based) and if you put a booster before it, it will sound smoother...after it will increase gain and rawness...but I haven't tried this out myself...but I heard some soundclips of boosted Muff's though...
Don't think of the Russian one as a distortion pedal, it's not, it's just not as much as a fuzz as the USA one, it's still a fuzz.

And anyway, if you use the neck pickup, it's gonna' fuzz anyway.
Don't be afraid to care"

^thanks for that, does it have more definition than the american one, american is too fuzzy for me but i know it can set with more clarity in the fuzz. so the russian one CAN be set to a smooth fuzz AND distorted fuzz, right? can it be set like a USA big muff (when set with less fuzz) ?
do you reckon you can send sound clips of your russian big muff?
i would really really appreciate it, if you can't then that's OK.

Fender USA Stratocaster
Marshall BluesBreaker

Vox V847
MXR MC401 Boost
Roger Mayer Octavia
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Maxon OD-9
Boss Space Echo RE-20
Line 6 DL4
Boss TU-2
I can't sorry, my microphone (a very cheap PC mic) records distorted tones terribly, and clean crap aswell.

Just go for the Russian one! lol you'll probably like it more.
Don't be afraid to care"

^that's alright, i'm a little indecisive aren't i, OK so i'm gonna get the russian big muff, and boost it with my DS-2 or my maxon OD-9 (which i'm getting in a month or two). If i don't like i'll return it and then i'll get a USA Big Muff, if don't like that, i'll have to wait a bit to get a fuzz factory. I know i'll have to mod the russian one to true bypass with a dc jack, hopefully i won't f*** it up. thanks for your help guys.

Fender USA Stratocaster
Marshall BluesBreaker

Vox V847
MXR MC401 Boost
Roger Mayer Octavia
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Maxon OD-9
Boss Space Echo RE-20
Line 6 DL4
Boss TU-2