im very interested in doing this as a hobby and maybe to make a little money by selling them to my friends

the problem is my family is having a very tough finacial time and i need a cheap easy pedal build

id like something like an ocatave or a fuzz that wouldnt be to hard

note: i dont have any of the tools id need could i get most of the stuff at radioshack
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
hm, well you could probably borrow a soldering iron from someone that you know. Beginer builds would probably be the cheapest though they will still cost like $20.
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Quote by greenbox
you also have to consider things like drilling for your enclosure

already got a drill
volume pedals are cheap, if you can find the enclosure...
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
you can get resistors on the cheap, capacitors will cost a bit more. but the bulk of your pedal making cost will probably be with your enclosure, jacks and pots.

A soldering iron will be around... $8 at radioshack.
Solder will vary depending on how much you want to buy, anywhere from $2-$6 I guess.
Resistors will cost around a few cents each, capacitors maybe $0.10-$0.50 depending on what kind of cap you need.
Enclosure - depending on where you can find them, smallbear stocks them at under $10.
That and you'll have to find a board.

Here are two build sites, there should be more in the stickies (if not, then a bunch of people are bound to post their favorites):
http://smallbox.zeonhost.com/
http://tonepad.com/projects.asp?projectType=fx
Last edited by greenbox at Sep 10, 2006,
IN my experience the MOST EXPENSIVE PARTS of each project are ALWAYS

1) the switch - 3DPT's are kinda pricey compared to the rest of the components (ie 3 or 4 dollars for a decent one, 10 dollars for a better than decent one).

2) the enclosure - these things are pretty pricey, about 5 bux to 10 bux.

3) sometimes you get weird components like IC's that are pretty rare like in the small clone etc - they can set u back about 8 bux.
Marty
^ yup, forgot about switches
dang, where are you getting 3PDT's for 3 or 4 dollars? The cheapest I've seen is 6
I wouldn't mind knowing that myself! There are plenty of applications for which I'd be willing to settle for a just "decent" 3PDT switch.
Quote by spaminator101
im very interested in doing this as a hobby and maybe to make a little money by selling them to my friends

the problem is my family is having a very tough finacial time and i need a cheap easy pedal build

id like something like an ocatave or a fuzz that wouldnt be to hard

note: i dont have any of the tools id need could i get most of the stuff at radioshack

not trying to go off and sound like a dick but..... get a job.. seriously. i been working since i was 14 down in my "redneck city, USA", blueberry fields ftw.
Quote by melmoth72
I wouldn't mind knowing that myself! There are plenty of applications for which I'd be willing to settle for a just "decent" 3PDT switch.

sorry guys i was quoting DPDT prices accidently, though i thought us prices might be cheaper than here in europe. the cheapest price i know for a 3DPT in europe is 4.3euro's which i guess comes back to ure US$6 more or less if my memory serves me correctly.

by DPDT's and forget about that damn LED!

edit: oh yer btw. the page if your interested. it is in europe though. http://www.banzaieffects.com/Pushbutton-Footswitches-c-246.html
Marty
Quote by _Sanitarium_
not trying to go off and sound like a dick but..... get a job.. seriously. i been working since i was 14 down in my "redneck city, USA", blueberry fields ftw.

umm im only 14 and i cant very well work during school
i already have a job lined up for next summer though(im lifeguarding)
Spaminator - There's also a circuit designed by R.G. Keen called a Millenium 2 Bypass that will let you do very nearly/kinda/maybe/not-quite-untrue bypass _and_ have an LED using only a DPDT. See the info at:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/Millenium/millen.htm

Depending on what parts you have available, I'd say that might wind up costing you less than a 3PDT. The bypass circuit works really well and won't (as in is physically incapable of) suck tone if you build it to the specs he suggests.
One project I see a lot of kids doing on the cheap is building fuzzes in Altoids tins. Yeah, it's corny. But it works just fine and is sort of a conversation piece. Other tiny, one-knob projects an altoid tin is great for:

Preamp
Treble Booster
A/B box

In all honesty, though, if you're getting into this with an eye toward making money, you should start small. Build for your friends using inexpensive parts (For example, build a fuzz box using a 2N3904 instead of an expensive germanium transistor--some people actually like the silicon tone better) and don't expect to make a lot of money off of it. Develop your electronics skills. Learn to read a schematic well and learn to make your own PCBs. Sell some cheap stuff in altoid tins.

Then take the money you make and use it to capitalize moving on to better parts and more interesting builds.

Melmoth
------------------
The universe is expanding to get away from the Internet.

My gear:
2004 Vox VR30R 30w solid/tube hybrid amp
2004 Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
1973-75 Ovation Deacon solidbody (no p'ups yet)
1992 Epiphone PR350S