So I'm learning on an acoustic, because not only do I want to suddenly jump into a triple digit purchase when I have my sisters guitar right here for free, but I also understand it builds dexterity and such so when you transition to electric it'll be much easier.

But then I'm wondering how much stuff I'm missing out that i'll have to learn on electrics..Can you do things like Power chords and hammer ons and pinch harmonics on an acoustic?
Quote by ahhmyeye
So I'm learning on an acoustic, because not only do I want to suddenly jump into a triple digit purchase when I have my sisters guitar right here for free, but I also understand it builds dexterity and such so when you transition to electric it'll be much easier.

But then I'm wondering how much stuff I'm missing out that i'll have to learn on electrics..Can you do things like Power chords and hammer ons and pinch harmonics on an acoustic?

you can do just about all the same technique minus the whammy bar (which really isnt important when just starting) also, powerchords generally dont sound too great on acoustics but, they're playable nonetheless.
also, i dont think the transition will be 'much easier' to an electric. people generally say this because on electrics, the strings usually have lower action, that is, the strings are closer to the fretboard and as such require less force
Quote by ahhmyeye

Welcome to Ultimate-Guitar. Don't start any lame threads like the rest of the September '06ers and you'll be fine .

You can play powerchords and hammer-ons and such on acoustic guitars. I guess you can do pinch harmonics, but it is a bit harder than on an electric guitar. I started out on a huge classical guitar with a wide neck that was probably built for Samson. When I transfered to electric, I could play very easily. Your fingers will be strong if you learn on an acoustic, especially if the acoustic is about $200-300.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, feel free to post again in this forum or PM me. Have fun!