ok so i've seen a number of threads here where the two were compared. i never saw any remote similarity, but i just got 2 john frusciante solo albums, they're really good. but i can barely even see any remote similarity between john frusciante and jimi hendrix other than they both play guitar.

so please, why do people on here consistently compare the two? - they have almost zero similarity.
well i guess some of his solos in the chilis nudge the style of hendrix, but no more than say joe satrianis work does.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
because john is a great fan of hendrix´s work, and was one of his influences when he started playing.
With the RHCP he played "castles made of sand" in a great way,, and i think with similar techniques, like chords, etc.
I think they are somewhat similar, in their paying styles. People mostly "compare" (I hope you don't mean in terms of 'ability') them becuase Hendrix is a huge influence on John, if I remmeber what i read correctly, and you can hear it in his playing.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
i see it very evidently only on Stadium arcadium, all of his other works have a very minamalist style. but in some of the Stadium arcadium solos i can see a lot of hendrix influence
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
john frusciante is my favorite guitarists so i have the answer! in an interview he said that when he was a kid he went in guitar shops and people were surprised that he could play awsome hendrix licks. in another interviw he said that anytime he composes a solo he tried to add an interval that hendrix uses, because he loves the way he plays, so i guess he does take hendrix in mind when he writes music
Red Hot Chili Peppers
man, i saw some solos from john in the early peppers live videos and he kick ass and they are very freestyle like jimmy´s. he also copies how to lie in the floor.
Because they're both incredibly overrated.

EDIT: And because people are on a fruitless quest to find a modern day Hendrix.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

They are both overrated and I agree the 2nd coming of Hendrix won't ever happen...
John has some similar riffs to Jimi, but really there is no comparison. I mean I dig john's stuff, he's a great funk/rock guitarist and he really made the peppers in my eyes, but he's no hendrix.
Listen to the track "Hey" on Stadium Arcadium and you'll know why people compare the 2 , not just this track though Frusciante is influenced by Hendrix alot and it shows in other tracks that hes done with the chilis, not really his solo work.
Quote by samlynch
nothing can beat rhcp albums. not even rhcp albums.
Quote by Zoso68
i see it very evidently only on Stadium arcadium, all of his other works have a very minamalist style. but in some of the Stadium arcadium solos i can see a lot of hendrix influence

like in dani california the first few notes are from purple haze if you listen (the solo i mean)
Member #2 of The Improve UG Forums Movement, PM Musical Meds To Join

[20:35] <Horrid> I'm gonna go gay for you.

(23:03:22) <OptimusPrime> I hate black people

DOES NOT HATE JOSH KLINGHOFFER
I think they are in the same league...maybe hendrix a bit better.
Member#8 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chilli Peppers UG fanclub. PM IpodInaBottle to join