I have an ibanez prestige. A tremolo stud broke, so i recently replaced it. After i replaced it, i couldnt get the action right. I want the action as low as possible, but any time i make the action low, some of the strings have that twnagy sound of the string hitting something. I have to make the action ridiculously high to get a clean sound from the strings. Also, when i tune it the open string and the 12th fret on the string are different notes, so i think that means my inotation is messed up. So how do i fix all these problems without taking it to a shop to do it
sounds like ur neck is too straight.
as for intonation, u fix that after everything else, ill let madpickin add his tutorial.

is ur bridge level?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah, check you neck relief and always make sure that the bridge is level.

As for the intonation, here you go

Tuning Floyd Roses' intonation is really a bitch if you dont have any equipment/experience. Its time consuming and really needs a lot of patient...A LOT. You can get a guitar tech guy to get it done but make sure he knows what he's doing. But once you know how to do it, its really really simple.

This is the thing you should adjust on ur bridge. The little tiny screw below the strings.

This is a special intonation tool for Ibanez Edge tremolo system, sold at stewmac.com

These are the steps on how to properly adjust your intonation on floyd rose system.

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

Checking the intonation
1) Check the intonation on each strings and you might want to get a pencil for this. Jot down every sharps or flats on every strings
2) Pick a harmonic at the 12th fret of E and make sure its tuned to your tuning like open E = 12th fret harmonics. Or any downtunings make sure its the same
3) Now fret the 12th fret with normal finger pressure and check wheter its the same with the 12th fret harmonic/open E
4) If the notes of the open note vs. the natural harmonic are different you need to adjust the saddle position
5) Mark the strings that you wish to intonate

Setting the intonation
1) If you dont have the special tool, you need to loosen the string 1 by one and adjust its intonation step by step.
2) Here's the tricky part, your string needs to be properly loosed and you might want to hold it using ur fingers because if the tension is still there, the strings will pull the intonation saddle after you loosen it.
3) Loosen the saddle screw, see your notes that you just jotted, if the fretted note is SHARP, move the saddle AWAY from the neck and vice-versa.
4) You might have to move the saddle quite a bit to realize changes. You can get it really far back, past the bolt's head or washer in fact.
5) There are two bolt positions for adjustments so if there is not enough adjustment in the saddle move saddle further and use the next hole for the intonation lock down screw as you can see on pic below:

Ibanez ILT example Bridge
*there is another hole in front that you can put the saddle screw if the desired intonation isnt proper.
6) Tighten the intonation lock screw firmly taking care not to strip the screw
7) Retune the string and retest fret-12 fretted to the fret-12 natural harmonic
8) This is probably the most sickening step of all. This is a really really by trial and error, so if your desired pitch isnt working, you have to do it again and again and repeat the steps above until its properly intoned.

Really important notes, read this through
- Loosen the strings to make way for the allen/hex wrench to be properly inserted in the saddle screw. AVOID contact with the hex wrench and the strings. I did this once and the string just break....
- The notes at the 12th fret open note vs 12 fret natural harmonic should be in tune with themselves
- Do not touch this because thats the string lock.

If you loosen it the strings will pop out. Same as the Ibanez ILT example Bridge, do not touch the (E) part.

- BE PATIENT, you dont want to get any mental breakdowns
- When loosening the strings, you MUST intonate it 1 by one, and NOT ALL at once. For example, you make sure all ur strings are in tune, then check the ones with messed up intonation and loosen that string ONLY. You loosen it like said, untill you have a clearance for the hex wrench.
- You dont need any wooden blocks or any sorts of blocking mechanism.

Hope this helps, its quite bitching and whatnot so you can save your time (but not ur money) by just sending it to professional tech to be properly setup.

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by jj1565
sounds like ur neck is too straight.
as for intonation, u fix that after everything else, ill let madpickin add his tutorial.

is ur bridge level?

your neck can be to straight?
My guitar neck is warped and I sound like John Frusciante !!! With Humbuckers !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by striker327
your neck can be to straight?

Yea, it's supposed to have a bit of relief, by too straight, it somewhat means too little relief.
Are there any advantage's to floating tremolo's? because mine is a major pain in the ass.
Floyd Rose's suck in the long run. Adjusting the truss rod, adjusting the bridge saddles, and adjusting intonation are all rather simple tasks. At least on Strats.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp