When picking, is it wrong to anchor my fingers on the body of my guitar? Does it slow e down or something.

I watched a video with Dave Mustaine and he said not to do it...
I do it just to steady my hand. When you stand the guitar always moves a little and if your hand doesn't move with it you're in trouble.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
*waits for mob of people*

It's not a great habit to get into, however, there are exceptions. Generally speaking, it's not good.

Banjo style fingerpicking, like mark knopfler, need to use this.

Michael Angelo Batio also uses this to his advantage for extra stability.
well, if dave says not to...

sarcasm aside, do what feels comfortable.
Quote by Coins
When picking, is it wrong to anchor my fingers on the body of my guitar? Does it slow e down or something.

I watched a video with Dave Mustaine and he said not to do it...

can I know where you took the video from I' d like to see it?
plenty of big musicians anchored their hand/fingers, off the top of my head I know slash and SRV did. So it can't be that bad. When I'm sitting down i tend to keep my hand on the bridge, but when i stand its barely resting on it.
ya when i play sitting down i have my last 2 or 3 fingers on the pick guard. Ive done it since day 1 and i still do it and when i stand im usually into the music more so i play louder, therefore i dont need to have my fingers on cause im hammering the strings.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
man, i've never understood how people can do this, maybe i have small hands, but i can't reach the pickguard and low E at the same time
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
I asked my guitar teacher and he says there's nothing wrong with it.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Cool. Thanks guys.

I would have hated to readjust my hand positioning after 2 months of playing...
Last edited by Coins at Sep 11, 2006,
nothing wrong with it at all. do however be cautious, as it is a habit, so if you do become limited by it you may have to relearn your picking slightly and actually memorize where the strings are based on a pivot point of your arm or something. also remember it's a soloing skill, not a rythm one, it won't help you if yuor trying to down pick a palm muted e at 5 notes a second.
Marty