I just picked up my new cab....and the lady just gave me a bag full of likepower packs and wires and whatnot......

but what kind of wire do i use to connect my head to my cab???does it just look like a regular 1/4 inch guitar cable???

or AHH

HELPPP!!
pleaasseee..hurry.
=]
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Yes, it will be either a regular qaurter inch cable or speakon

http://www.soundgear.co.uk/shop/images/speakon.jpg

Well most likely it will be one of those two.
GEAR:
67' Gibson ES-335(Cherry)
Oscar Schmidt Delta King
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
PEDALBOARD:
TC Electronic Polytune
Fulltone GT-500
Vox Wah
Ernie Ball volume
Sparkle Drive (clean boost)
Boss DD-20
No!

1/4 Speaker Cable! You Moron!
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
it will look like regular instrument cable, but it should be labeled as speaker cable, or possibly 16 guage wire. It's a lot thicker wire than instrument cable, but they look the same thickness because of the shielding on the instrument cable. NEVER use regular instrument cable with a powered signal, you will burn it up and possible damage your head.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
alright thanks guys.

but..do i need some kind of power supply for the cab???
or does it just run through the head?
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

the cab is being powered by the head, thru that speaker cable. All the amps power is going thru that cable.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
asdjalkdjalkdsj..
well i looked at all the cables and none of them say anything...ughhhh...
what would happen if i tried one and it was a guitar cable?
AHH
how do i tell?!
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

The thinnest cord will most likely be a speaker cable. They have no shielding and are noticeably skinnier than a guitar cable.

Here's one way to tell:
If you have another amp, plug in what you think is a speaker cable. If it hisses and pops like a MFer, it's a speaker cable.
well, if the wattage on your amp isn't too high, a regular instrument cable would work.

If you really, REALLY can't tell, and you just gotta know for sure, you could try peeling back the rubber and seeing if the there's wire wrapped/wound around the cable, or if it's 2 distinct lines.

what you want is a cable with 2 distinct lines for your cab
ughhh....
i do have another amp...but i don't want to risk blowing that out...because i like it too.

and as for the wattage..it's a two channel head and each channel is 100 watts but it maxes out at 130
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

Quote by greenbox
well, if the wattage on your amp isn't too high, a regular instrument cable would work.

If you really, REALLY can't tell, and you just gotta know for sure, you could try peeling back the rubber and seeing if the there's wire wrapped/wound around the cable, or if it's 2 distinct lines.

what you want is a cable with 2 distinct lines for your cab

you're asking for trouble using an instrument cable for any power amp. The wire isn't designed to carry a powered signal, the wire is way too thin. If it fails at any point, that's a no load situation for the head.

TS, it's usually shorter too, 3 ft is pretty common. Maybe if you can unscrew the end of one input jack and take a look at the wire. Speaker cable will be noticably thicker wire with no shielding.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by SchecterGates
ughhh....
i do have another amp...but i don't want to risk blowing that out...because i like it too.

You won't blow it by using the speaker cable like a guitar cord to see which it is.
Quote by Roc8995
The thinnest cord will most likely be a speaker cable. They have no shielding and are noticeably skinnier than a guitar cable.

Here's one way to tell:
If you have another amp, plug in what you think is a speaker cable. If it hisses and pops like a MFer, it's a speaker cable.

erm, instrument cables are 21 gauge. Speaker cables are 12-16 gauge...so speaker cables are thicker.

There should be SOME KIND of writing on the cable...is there literally NOTHING?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
erm, instrument cables are 21 gauge. Speaker cables are 12-16 gauge...so speaker cables are thicker.

oops, my instrument cable is thicker. Thought the guage was only the wire inside, and the shielding made them thicker. < I hereby retract my statement.>
You can still figure it out by using it as a guitar cable though. That I know.
Quote by kurdtkobaign

nope...
only on the thinnest one theres some numbers...
but nothing like important i guess...
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

Quote by jmac72187
Just go and buy a 3 foot long "speaker" cable. It will be the safest way.

yeah that's what i was probably going to do...but i have to wait until i can go to Guitar Center..*sigh*

oh well...patience is worth not blowing out anything i guess...
but i just sold a bunch of pedalsand my paintball gun so i made about $320.00..

but i spent about $208.00 on my cab...so i will have about 110 dollars to spend on stuff.
yay!
haha
thanks.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

^ yeah the safest way is to just go buy a $6-$10 speaker cable...

edit- what kind of PB gun? lol
Quote by kurdtkobaign
^ yeah the safest way is to just go buy a $6-$10 speaker cable...

edit- what kind of PB gun? lol

a spyder xtra with alot of mods and alot of extras.alot alot alot...

it went for 112.61.

i had to sell it=[
it was my pride.
but oh well.i kinda got out of paintball.more into guitar now.and i had to pay back my dad for my halfstack..so it had to go.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

lol nice. I sold my Tipman 98' Custom for like $200 a little while ago. Since Id had it I had modded/added every piece of anything I could...man that thing was so awesome. But they cost a lot of money (paint, air, gear, course fees..etc.) so I got rid of it.

/spam lol
Quote by Erock503
you're asking for trouble using an instrument cable for any power amp. The wire isn't designed to carry a powered signal, the wire is way too thin. If it fails at any point, that's a no load situation for the head.

Oh, if you're running a lower wattage amp, (like, maybe under 20 watts), then you can actually use an instrument cable with no problem. But he's using a 100w head, so an instrument cable is obviously out of the question. (I had to do this with my 18w for a short while till my speaker cables were shipped, and it worked fine even when I pushed it to the max).

Obviously though, you'd want a shorter, thicker speaker cable for your cab.