What are some scales I could learn for metal? I know the pentatonic scale, but its really only good for bluesy stuff (which is good), but I wouldnt mind learning some more scales.
Be unique and try to learn / implement rare scales.
: : Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Ibanez Acoustic-Electric
Fender Black Strat
: : Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion & Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Tuner
Major modes- Most metal will use the modes of the major scale may it be aeolian lydian phrygian or even ionian.

Harmonic minor.- Neo classical metal

Whole tone- sounds pretty minor.
Diminished- evil...............

Pentatonic even.- You can pretty much use pentatonic in every style of music, so why not metal?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I dont know why but i like using Aeolian mode scales. Didnt Randy Rhoads use aeolian scales a lot? i dunno, but i thought i heard that somewhere.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Blues scale also.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Aeolian is pretty cool. Just someone refresh my memory: Aeolian is natural minor or harmonic minor?

Anyway, feltgrape is right. Especially about whole tone and diminished. Try to focus on the tritone aspect of the whole tone and use diminished arpeggios for death metal solos. Diminished owns. Whole tone is a bit hard to use though, but very good when you're trying put a lot of tension into a small part of a song. Also, I found this weird harmonic minor scale with a dimished 2nd and 4th is pretty cool, sounds Carcass-ey(pretty much where I got it from).
aeolian is natural minor
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Also melodic minor could fit in metal
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

What kind of scales would you use for gorecore and grindcore?

Possibly Harmonic minor?
Gear

Son Of Beast *IDW it anymore*
Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
Guys relax if you can't joke about genocide then what can you do?
Quote by licitanarchy
What kind of scales would you use for gorecore and grindcore?

Possibly Harmonic minor?

You can really use pretty much any scale for like any type of music.

aeolian/ pentatonic/major can do alot in music.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

and, dont stick to theory always. sometimes, like dime said, its best to just go with what sounds right and portrays the emotion to you.
Quote by ScreamingCheeto
and, dont stick to theory always. sometimes, like dime said, its best to just go with what sounds right and portrays the emotion to you.

thats exactly what i do when im making songs up, i dont know much about scales and stuff (trust me i want to and am going to learn, ive been playing for a while i should know more) but by doing exactly that ive made all these >SONGS<