argueably the greatest bassist of all time, Jaco is my favorite musician, and biggest musical influence. i figured, hey, why not let more bassists know about THE bass god. in this thread, you can discuss the man, insult him, and just plain argue, i dont ****in care, just make this thread worthwhile. so, start the conversations fools.
who did jaco play with?
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
The(?) Weather Report
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Jaco played with Weather Report, Pat Metheny and with his own group. He's one of the few musicians whose talent justified his ego. If you listen to his playing, you can hear echos of his style in quite a few bassist who folowed him, including Flea btw.

If you want a truly humbling experience, grab a copy of his Modern electric bass book. His playing was intelligent and incredibly fluid. And he was the orginator of the fretless bass. He took an old 1962 Fender bass, yanked out the frets and filled the spaces with wood putty.

I'll admit I am not much of a jazz fusion fan, but if you listen to Weather Report and some of his work with Pat Metheny, it's just mind blowing how good he was.
...what makes htis official, exactly?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Jaco also played with Joni Mitchell for three albums and a live concert called "Shadows and Light" (out on DVD now).

Not only did he pull out the frets and used wood putty to fill in the fret gaps, he used marine epoxy to make the neck super smooth and super hard--to get that MWAH FACTOR.

He was an amazing guy and an amazing bass player. A little geeky, a little meeky--but get him on bass and he shined.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Or as he told numerous people..."it ain't bragging if you can back it up". Geeky, maybe quiet at times, but meeky / humble, not by a long shot.
Quote by jaco de lucia
A little geeky, a little meeky

i dont think that bouncer thought so..........
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I just got a load of Jaco albums, and I have been really listening to them. The Birthday Concert is the best live concert I own.

The Chicken is my favorite jaco tune ATM.

What are your thoughts on the Jaco Pastorius Big Band? I have "The Word is Out!" and I think they did a wonderful job covering the tunes.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
What are your thoughts on the Jaco Pastorius Big Band? I have "The Word is Out!" and I think they did a wonderful job covering the tunes.

that was why i didnt like it, they didnt really put out anything original.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by crazypeanutman
that was why i didnt like it, they didnt really put out anything original.

Its a tribute band, so they can't really come up with any original material. Although "Punk Jazz Revisted" on Word Of Mouth Revisted was very original. Their take on Opus Pocus was also very original. They turned it into a more oriental (eastern) peice. The low-b string in some of the tunes really added an entirely new depth to a lot of the songs, as well.

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Its a tribute band, so they can't really come up with any original material.

good point, but it still just wasnt worth it to me. IMO the best live jaco is off of weather report live concerts, especially like port of entry. look up some of that. in fact, just look up all weather report in general, they are jusst as good, although a little different, with all their bassists.

after your done with weather report, move onto return to forever and stanley clarke.
Quote by Mr. T
Quote by crazypeanutman
good point, but it still just wasnt worth it to me. IMO the best live jaco is off of weather report live concerts, especially like port of entry. look up some of that. in fact, just look up all weather report in general, they are jusst as good, although a little different, with all their bassists.

after your done with weather report, move onto return to forever and stanley clarke.

I really want some Stanley Clarke. Yertle was telling me about him, and I only have Silly Putty.

As far as Weather Report goes, I only have Heavy Weather. I'm looking for Port of Entry, Mr. Gone, Black Market, and Night Passage. They are so hard to find anywhere. I saw "Mr. Gone" at Tower Records, but it was going for $20.

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
I really want some Stanley Clarke. Yertle was telling me about him, and I only have Silly Putty.

As far as Weather Report goes, I only have Heavy Weather. I'm looking for Port of Entry, Mr. Gone, Black Market, and Night Passage. They are so hard to find anywhere. I saw "Mr. Gone" at Tower Records, but it was going for $20.

well, port of entry is a song, night passage is the live album. black market is an awesome album. i found black market in FYE, and sweetnighter (not with jaco) in best buy. night passage i got as a prtial album on itunes, then the rest from my uncle.

as far as stanley goes, look for "the romantic warrior" the song and the album. another great RtF album is "hymn of the seventh galaxy".

romantic warrior is jazz/rock/renaissance fusion, and hymn is jazz/rock/futuristic(?) fusion. really cool ****
Quote by Mr. T
^ For Stanley Clarke, I can't get enough of the "School Days" Era. That was one funky motha f*ckin album. A little cheesy perhaps at times, but funky.
Well Jaco is one of my fave bassists I only have one Weather Report CD (8:30 <--- incredible live CD) but I love his grooves with Weather Report and as a Solo artist he really is quite amazing... oh and to who ever said they prefer Flea and Victor Wooten over Jaco I would just like to let you know that Flea and Victor were/are heavily influenced by Jaco and Victor I believe is a family friend...
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
So, is anyone familiar with Jaco's work with Joni Mitchell? A fellow bassist friend says I need to check out Jaco's work on Mingus and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter. The problem is that I generally take a rather large dislike to most, if not all of Ms. Mitchell's work. Is Jaco's work on these albums worth getting over my "bad Joni" feelings?
Anarkee, the only Joni/Jaco album I have is Hejira... andI must say, it's a great album. The first thing you hear is Jaco, and he's got such an amazing presence on the entire album, it's great.

I'll bet I've got a Jaco album non of y'all have heard of, Portrait of Jaco (Available only in Japan, I believe, I got it in a contest) which is mostly friends/family talking about him with lots of his songs too. It's very sweet.
haha
Im tired of these threads dedicated to bass players, there is a reason there is a band and artist section of UG http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4 I do understand that you are talking about a bass player, but if we keep this up who knows how many "The Official who gives a **** Thread" there will be
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
^I think it's been decided that the bass forum is for everything bass. It's the bass version of B&A, the bass version of Guitar Gear & Accessories, the bass version of Gear modification, and in case you've never noticed, any beginners questions about bass aren't posted in Guitar and Bass Basics, but they're asked here. We are the bass forum, and we turn no bass-related threads away.
Quote by pink chili
Im tired of these threads dedicated to bass players, there is a reason there is a band and artist section of UG http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4 I do understand that you are talking about a bass player, but if we keep this up who knows how many "The Official who gives a **** Thread" there will be

Threads like this and the Geddy Lee one were either closed in the modern rock thread, or moved into here. Bassist discussion is allowed here.