I bought a new guitar by mail and the neck pickup was messed up. The only way I could fix this was to pay to have it shipped back. That would have coast a lot of money so I talked them into sending me a replacement. I was happy until I found out how much it would coast to have it solder back in. I want to do it myself but I don't know how. I thought about buying that cold heat solder tool, you know that as seen on tv thing. Does anybody have that, would it work? The next thing I need is the knowledge to do it. Does anyone have some advice or links that they could give me?

Thanks
COLD HEAT SOLDERING SYSTEMS DO NOT WORK!

the tips always break off, and they jsut tell you to buy new ones it's just a trick. Just get a regular 30 watt pencil tip soldering iron.

and to fix your pickup it really depends on whats wrong with it. So you'll have to take a look. First look for any lose wires, or any soldering joints that aren't shiney silver.

and we'll direct you from there...
Last edited by kaplac at Sep 11, 2006,
Quote by kaplac
COLD HEAT SOLDERING SYSTEMS DO NOT WORK!

+10000000000000

Biggest piece of **** ever. They ****ing burn you when you touch it to your skin too. ****ing liars.

Im glad I got it as a gift and didnt buy it.
I feel bad for my Aunt though. She bought it.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Ok you guys talked me out of buying the cold heat thing

First I thought it was the neck pickup so I cut it out and mailed it back. That was the only way to get them to send me a replacement. Now I think it's the pickup selector here is the picture I took of the pickup selector. But I will have to tackle that later step one is putting the new pickup in. I was hoping that I could just solder the two wires together ( the old one that is still attached and the one on the new pickup) would that work?

that pickup selecter seems a bit unusual, maybe i'm just not used to that type but it still looks funky. unscrew it if you can and try and get a schematic. is it a 5 way or a 3 way?
Marty
Yeah, that is a weird looking selector. By the size of it, I'm guessing 5 way. Do you think you could send a photo of all the wiring, it makes it a lot easier to see what wires are coming from where
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I have NEVER seen a switch like that before. It looks like the terminals are solder points on the board? I would replace it with a good quality (Jap) switch and see if it fixes your proble. Wire in that neck pickup too to the new switch. When you're soldering, you want to keep your runs of wire as short as possible to minimise buzz/hum, so it's not a good idea to connect two lenths of wire together, unless you don't have enough from the pickup itself.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Just connect it the same way it was before.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Oh, I was one step ahead of him sorry.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Just connect it the same way it was before.

It was originally soldered on I just took a wire cutter and cut the wire
Ok. From what I can see, you will have to unsolder the red wire from the pickup (top red wire, probably soldered on from the back). Then you will have to unsolder the ground wire that is will be the outside insulator. This is connected to the back of one of the pots (I can't see properly where it goes though). Then resolder the main wire from the new pickup (normally white, but in this case red) back to where the other red wire was and then solder your ground insulator wire back to where it was on the back of the top.
If you get lost, post pics with where you are up to.