on my old GK 250ml's distortion channel the low end response (even at lower lvls) kicked you in the chest like a mule. i guess you would call it really tight.

same with the clean channel on my boogie 50 cal. but when i switch to the gain channel the low end response really loses it's punch, kind of smoothed out. i've got the bass tones jacked, mids cut, and the high tones sort of mid-high. of course i haven't been able to turn up the amp to any degree, but is this typical of tube amps, in comparison to solid state in distortion mode?
I wouldn't say it's the tubes' fault, just how you're using it or the amp is set up.

Try not using the master volume, just turn the master all the way up and leave it, and then crank it.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

Try not using the master volume, just turn the master all the way up and leave it, and then crank it.

uhhh... ummm... whu? huh? don't use the master volume and turn the master all the way up? have you found a portal to the 12th dimension?
In case you didn't know, turning up the master has the effect of bypassing it. Therefore, you aren't using it.

****ing n00bs.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
whoa, sorry, didn't mean to upset you. yes, i am a toob-noob, and i've been browsing thru this site for a while now, and in all the reading i've done, i haven't heard of such a thing as turning the master vol. all the way in order to bypass it. i mean, c'mon, that does sound a little twisted, no?

in any case, thanks for the suggestion
Quote by sethp
whoa, sorry, didn't mean to upset you. yes, i am a toob-noob, and i've been browsing thru this site for a while now, and in all the reading i've done, i haven't heard of such a thing as turning the master vol. all the way in order to bypass it. i mean, c'mon, that does sound a little twisted, no?

in any case, thanks for the suggestion

The purpose of the master volume is to cut the volume at the poweramp (?) stage. By turning it all the way up, you are effectively not using it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
wait a minute, i gotta play at living room levels. if i jack the master volume, i wont be able to touch the lead volume. right now i can't really turn them past 1.5 - 2
in my experience you should actually leave the master as low as possible and crank the pre gain if you want a tighter sound. driving the power tubes gives the amp a different kind of response (almost like it pauses for second to process the sound--i dont know how to explain) and that might be why you think it has a looser sound. just go with what works for you dude, despite what all the tube snobs here say, its not the only technology in the world that will get you your sound.
dont cut your mids either. 10-11 o'clock should be about the lowest you should go if you still want a good chunky sound...
Does your .50 Cal have the graphic EQ? If not, you're screwed because you won't really get a crest pounding distortion from that. If so, put it in a V shape, keep the bass and mids on the dials down at about 3, treble from 8-10, gain at about 8.
yeah, i got the graphic eq. i guess all this is kind of irrelevat anyway, since i cant get it up to any decent volume level.