hey, i have this problem where my fingers sometimes tense up and fatigue quickly, mostly my picking hand. and its mosly when im playing more "intense" fast stuff. it sucks because i can play pefectly up until my fingers give out. am i just trying too hard?

or maybe its because im playing speed metal on an acoutic guitar....?
practice? try maybe putting on some of those finger weights and use them...u should get used to them after a while, and once u do and take them off, u'll have better stamina/speed. also, are you sure it's ur picking hand? i was expecting fretting one.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Thats odd then. I was going to say you just have to keep practicing but you've been playing longer than me lol.

hmm, I've heard that that happens when you use poor technique. I guess it could be the acoustic though cuz I know that my fingers hurt playing metal on a classical acoustic as well.

edit: wait...the picking hand? in that case I have no idea lol.
Quote by evening_crow
practice? try maybe putting on some of those finger weights and use them...u should get used to them after a while, and once u do and take them off, u'll have better stamina/speed. also, are you sure it's ur picking hand? i was expecting fretting one.

I've heard bad things about finger weights...it might cause arthritis.
i think maybe my problem might be that i anchor too much.... i guess its more of a wrist/thumb kind of thing than fingers now that i think about it more. actually im pretty certain thats what it is. i guess i need to learn not to anchor my wrist as much.
^Yeah.. or not at all. If you anchor, you have tension in your hand, arm and shoulder. Always. Ween yourself off anchoring, and then when you have your co-ordination back (because it will take you a little while to get used to not anchoring) work on getting rid of the tension, when you're happy with how your arm feels, you can start practicing, encouraging and ingraining the feeling of playing tension free into your playing.

So, go stock up on some discipline & patience and get to work.
You are probably playing with tension at very low speeds and you just don't notice it. Try playing something you like to play fast EXTREMELEY SLOW and see if you can do it without any tense feelings in the shoulder hands. The hands affect each other: if one is going too fast, the other tenses also.

I recently started doing this and I was surprised how slow I go and still feel tension a bit in my shoulder (althought I do not get any pain for the most part)...and that is WITHOUT an anchored hand.
Gear:
Schecter Diamond Series Gryphon
PRS Tremonti SE - silver
Squier Telecaster - black
Line 6 Spyder II 75W
Crybaby 535Q WAH
Last edited by brosbm at Sep 12, 2006,