Like a note book or a Document in Microsoft Word that you constantly edit by adding notes. Writing down new things you learned? How long it took you to learn a song? What kind of progress you've made in a time span of 2, 5, 7....20 months ?

Would it be a waste of time or beneficial ?
I don't think it would be so beneficial. I just play for a while everyday. Learning a song is not necessarily a function of time, sometimes it will just click after a while. I've heard it said that 80% of learning occurs in 20% of the time and 80% of the practice time is sort of stagnant or slow learning. It certainly couldn't hurt to keep a log though...
I am beginning to learn and it took me about 2 weeks of 1 hour nightly practices to learn the Fade To Black solo at freelicks.net. Over all, it's a very rewarding experience. The first half took me over a week and the last half took 2-3 days to pick up. I still suck at it, but it's sounding better and better.
Quote by Reez
Like a note book or a Document in Microsoft Word that you constantly edit by adding notes. Writing down new things you learned? How long it took you to learn a song? What kind of progress you've made in a time span of 2, 5, 7....20 months ?

Would it be a waste of time or beneficial ?

i keep a log. when i first started my uncle said it was a good thing to do. so that you can see how much you have progressed. so i started with a little 100 pg mead composition book. and wrote in it every day. i still do now and ive been playing for 13 years. i have 48 composition books filled with stuff.

but thats practicing everyday for 13 years. there are over 4700 pages of what i did for 13 years in my practice time. now i look back at the first book and i laugh becasue i can play everything in it with my eyes closed.
I don't do it but it wouldn't hurt. That way when you feel like you really suck you could look back and see how much better you are now which could give you more motivation.
Cool, so far this is the first page on Microsoft Word:

----------------------------------------
Guitar Playing Log

First two months ? July to September 9th (This log was created on Sept. 9, 2006)

- Did not start a log but I learned these chords:

Major Chords: E, A, D, G, F, C
Minor: A, D, E,
Barre Chords: Only know 2 which is the Root 6 F and this other one. Still having trouble making these chords comfortably. (Need practice.)
Dominant 7 chords (or D7) : A7, D7, C7, G7
Suspended Chords: Asus4, Dsus4, Esus4

** I probably forgot some of the other ones I learned. **

Scales ? Learned some scales

The 5 basic scale shapes:

- The Major scale, the Minor and Major Pentatonic scale
- I still don?t remember what the Blues and Minor scale is; although I have looked at it. I just didn?t remember it.

Chromatic scale ? Learned some it?s pretty straight forward; notes on the first position.

PROJECTS:

(NOTED on Sept. 11/06 11:57 p.m.) Short-Term Goal: First goal is to Learn how to play Patterns in The Ivy by Opeth smoothly.

-------------------------------------

And damn... 4700 pages of log !?!
Quote by Reez

And damn... 4700 pages of log !?!

yup all handwritten. but mine are very detailed. i actually drew out the scales and everything.

but hell 13 years will add up in log books man.
I have a blog ive just started about my experiences learning and my progression.

The only reason i started it was because there are an awful lot of liars on the internet who claim to be able to play so much stuff having played for so little time, and i thought it would be nice for a newbie to be honest about the fact that its hard to learn, and that if people are struggling, it doesn't make them failures.

Whether or not this counts i dont know, but after i listed what i could do, i felt a little better about my theory. I can't see it helping technique though.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Good thread, and a damn good idea - I'm definitely gonna do this myself.
I think I've left it too late to start a log (been playing for over two years), although I'd say I have the skill of maybe a 5-10 month player. I need to practice more, a log with everything wirtten out likes chord formation, scales etc. would be great.
Quote by rocknrollgod
yup all handwritten. but mine are very detailed. i actually drew out the scales and everything.

but hell 13 years will add up in log books man.

that's really impressive. i have to say, you just inspired me to start doing this.
it'll also be a nice review of everything ive learned progressively.