I need a new amp and ive got about 5 to 7 hundred dollars to spend. i need something with good distortion and sound but at the same time not needing to be cranked to get it. i would prefer a half stack if possible. some one HELP!
I would recommend the Crate GLX1200H Half-Stack
and if you go to music123.com you can get it for about $600
i probly should add that yes crate isnt a bad brand i would prefer to go with something alittle better! thanx
I wouldn't go halfstack in that pricerange, you're only going to get SS unless you stumble on a great used deal. You aren't getting quality at that price, you are paying for the looks and image of a halfstack. Ask anyone you know who has been playing for 5+ years, and 99% will either own or want to purchase a tube amp of some kind. They simply have better tone. It's still opinion and preference, but it's a widely held preference for a reason. Almost any pro recording you hear, the guitars will be using a tube amp, and it spans over many genres. A 4x12 halfstack is going to get you projection, not great sound or volume necessarily. That's all related to the amp itself. You can get a decent tube combo in that pricerange if you go used, and get an extension cab later if you really need a halfstack. What exactly are you looking for in a distortion, like a classic rock type of overdrive or a metal tone?

Another thing to consider, with tube amps, they really shine at higher volumes. The only way to get the cranked tone of a tube amp working out it's power section at lower volumes is using an attenuator, and then it's still a tradeoff since you are taking the speaker movement from the cab out of the sound equation. I still prefer a tube amp to SS at lower volumes, but if all you're doing is bedroom practice, a decent SS may be a better option for you. Not a halfstack though, that's still pointless and paying for looks. I prefer 2x12 combo amps, I like the projection and lowend response more than a 1x12. Most of the modern high gain tube amps will give you a lot of distortion from the preamp at lower volumes, so you won't have to worry about a good distortion. It won't be the same as the amp cranked with the powertubes contributing, but it's still better than most SS distortion
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
what about the b-52 half stack? with the LG 100a head and the LG 412v cab? has anyone heard anything good about that?