I'm posting for a friend who is looking at getting EMG's for his RG350DX. Now it's a basswood guitar, but he's dead set on them. He has a Peavey 5150II halfstack, so at least it's going through a tube. Question is, what to get for the neck? 81 in the bridge and an SA for cleans and such, he's wanting to know if he should get an 85 in the neck or another 81 or a 60. I'm kind of interested in this as well, I know that the 60's have the best cleans, but with an SA to handle those would an 85 or 81 be better? Best for solo's more articulate and strong single note playing, stuff like that.

Thanks for any help
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
81/85...but 60's great cleans
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
81/60, it makes the guitar more versatile.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Yea, but wouldn't the SA handle the cleans and stuff? Also, any reason to get the 85??? I kind of want a reason, not just get the 85 cause it r0x0rz!1!
81/85 is a good metal combo but I dont feel it gives as much versatility as the 81/60. THe 85 kinda means you have to play metal or it wont sound that great.

The 60 has incredible cleans, so dont think about getting the SA just coz you have heard that has good cleans as well.
~ My Gear ~

Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
81/85 is a good metal combo but I dont feel it gives as much versatility as the 81/60. THe 85 kinda means you have to play metal or it wont sound that great.

The 60 has incredible cleans, so dont think about getting the SA just coz you have heard that has good cleans as well.

EDIT: By the way, tell him NOT to get any EMG's in a basswood guitar!
~ My Gear ~

Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
I have a couple RG's with EMG's. I've never tried the 60, so I can't comment, but the 85 is a little boomy to me in the neck. I prefer the 89 in the neck. When it's split, it "is" an SA. Humbucker mode is meant to sound like the 85, but I've found it a little less boomy in my guitars, so I actually like it better. BTW, you know an SA is a single coil right?

edit: nvm about the SA, read it wrong.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Sep 11, 2006,
guys

fender tele, mahogany neck and body, maple cap.
the stock pups sound a litle bassy and not agressive enough.
my most agressive souns i need are black album/megadeth (peace sells) tones, and good cleans. preferabley splittable neck.
amp, mesa boogie nomad and laney aor
^ ? are you wanting EMG suggestions or maybe posted in the wrong thread

Anyway, I'll tell him to check out the 89 or 60. When I jam with him we mostly play metal, but noodling with other stuff is fun too. Erock, by boomy do you mean like just overpowered? Or maybe farty, or just maybe a sound if that presence knob was turned to -10?
well, I mean like I really don't like it for any kind of rythm or clean playing. It kind of gets a little farty, with too much low end, at least on my setup. Still works well for leads, but that's really the only time I use it. I'm not sure if it has something to do with basswood and the 85 specifically, it sounds better to me in mahogany for some reason. I've had it in my C-1 FR where it sounded better, but I still preferred the 89 so I changed it out.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Ok, I'll tell him to look into the 89. Also, you have an SA in your 1570 right? How does it handle the clean stuff? I mean I don't expect anything superb but does it handle it well enough?
The SA is great for cleans IMO, single coil sound without the noise normally associated. If you are going with all 3 EMG, I would also recommend he does the 18V mod. It's still easy to fit 2 batteries in the control cavity, and then you just wire the 2 batteries in series for 18V across the circuit. Keeps everything sounding a little more crisp and articulate when using 3+ EMG's IME. EMG says increased headroom and crisper transients. I don't bother when it's only 2 hums, but for 3+ pups, the difference is noticable to me.
amp clips
amp vids
Is it hard to do? Neither of us are really, well "technologically intelligent" but I know a few techs that could help out. Do they have to make adjustments to the guitar? Or will there be enough room to just cram everything in there wire it up and blastoff .
well, it's a tight fit, but you can get the 2 batteries in there. The wiring is simply just splicing another battery in, that's it, no other modifications. Pic 1 Pic 2 It's not in the pic, but I wrap them with something non conductive when I close it up, just to keep the batteries from contacting any metal.

I also have a push/pull EMG pot I added extra in there, which is larger than the regular pots, so there should be more room normally. I have it on the 85 as a hard on/off so I could use every possible pickup combination with that and the 5 way. It gets very little use at this point though, lol. I mainly only use the 81 or SA unless I'm "trying" to play arps.
amp clips
amp vids
Ah, ok yea looks like it fits good in there. Do you have the push/pull wired to just turn the 89 to 85 or SA or just turn the 85 on/off? I didn't really understand what you meant by that so I thought I would ask !
lol, yeah, I only mentioned it because it took up more room. I have it wired to the 85 just for on/off. This way I can use the 81/SA/85, either all together, or in any combination of pups.
amp clips
amp vids
Ah, clears that up ! Thanks a lot for all the help man, clears up a lot of EMG haze I've had for awhile. I used to not like them at all, mainly because it kind of freaks me out to not be able to use ANYTHING but EMG's, but who knows I might end up putting some in one of my guitars some day . Even though the BK's are great, I don't like spending 400 bucks for a pickup set !
no problem man.
I hear ya about the Bk's. I have a MM set in an RG570, and they sound fantastic in the basswood wired up by BK suggestions of a .047 cap. If I could afford it, I would probably use them in all my RG's.
amp clips
amp vids