When I started playing guitar, I had no lessons or books to guide me. Until only about a month ago, it started to hit me that I was obviously doing something wrong. So I look at a few videos and start seeing my mistakes. However, I still feel like I'm doing something wrong, so I'm just going to tell you guys what I've been doing and maybe you can tell me if i'm doing it completely wrong or if i'm on the right path...

When I started playing, I rested the palm of my hand on the bridge, now I kind of hover my hand above the strings. I dunno if this is correct, but it helps alot when muting strings, but makes other tasks a bit more difficult...

I'm working really hard to keep my picking hand really relaxed. I noticed that when it was tense, I could only get up to a certain speed, but when I relaxed it I could go much faster (not saying it was accurate, but much faster, definately!)

When sweep picking, I'm practicing keeping my wrist from doing anything but turning the pick (facing upward for downstrokes, downward for upstrokes) and using my forearm to perform the actual sweep.

Now about actually holding the pick... I used to play with it facing away from my hand, but now I hold it so that it sort of points towards my palm. This seems to make sweep picking easier and it's working its' way into my alternate picking.

So, what the hell am I doing right and what am I doing wrong? You guys have always given me great advice, so please give me some feedback