hey guys, i m thinking abot getting a jcm800, and was thinking about everyones opinions on it, the reviews from harmony central are pretty good, they all say it is a good amp but i dunno yet?
depends on what style you want to play. What do you play? If it's Blues, than this will do it, but won't be the best, same with metal...
This head is best for classic rock and stuff like that
Quote by Klayy
depends on what style you want to play. What do you play? If it's Blues, than this will do it, but won't be the best, same with metal...
This head is best for classic rock and stuff like that

Disagree, I reckon the 800 makes a great metal amp. It's very gainy, with the right pedal (Tubescreamer would be my choice) to drive it hard they scream and wail with the best of them.
yes if your playing any metal from like the 80s and before Sabbath Priest Maiden early metallica this will do it without a pedal. anything after that get a tubescreamer and you can get there
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
There are many versions of JCM800 with slightly differnt Tone and EQ
1981-84 Single Channels are Considered the Best (2203,2204)

The Dual Channels are more gain and Wider EQ Range, but if made before 1987 have a couple problems including bleeding between channel and thinned tone. For these models (2205,2210), many of these issues were fixed post 1987, thus 1988-90 models are best. Some people dislike these because for the extra gain, transistor clipping was used in between the power tubes. But this is basically the same as using a Distortion pedal, which most people use with JCM800 anyways.

Try to find one used, they come and go on ebay

If possible stay away from Reissue 2203x, as it is regarded least favorable amongst JCM800 Family, and is most expensive

It is purely subjective, but JCM800s are on average considered more favorable than their 900/2000 Counterparts as they have a 'purer' Marshall tone , so to speak, largely devoid of solid state technology as used in 900/2000.

I hope you can find a good one
he plays trivium, aka metallica fans who made their own versions of metallica songs but replaced vocals with a lot of shouting. which is still kinda cool.

If you get it you're getting a rock classic that you might have to crank. you see metallica used to mod their amps a heap back in the day to get their truckloads of distortion, this was before mesa became their amp of choice. nowadays amps are pretty much made to distort pretty aggressively so no modding is necessary, but by buying a classic amp you might be limiting yourself.

have a play around with it.
Marty
Quote by zenjirou
There are many versions of JCM800 with slightly differnt Tone and EQ
1981-84 Single Channels are Considered the Best (2203,2204)

The Dual Channels are more gain and Wider EQ Range, but if made before 1987 have a couple problems including bleeding between channel and thinned tone. For these models (2205,2210), many of these issues were fixed post 1987, thus 1988-90 models are best. Some people dislike these because for the extra gain, transistor clipping was used in between the power tubes. But this is basically the same as using a Distortion pedal, which most people use with JCM800 anyways.

Try to find one used, they come and go on ebay

If possible stay away from Reissue 2203x, as it is regarded least favorable amongst JCM800 Family, and is most expensive

It is purely subjective, but JCM800s are on average considered more favorable than their 900/2000 Counterparts as they have a 'purer' Marshall tone , so to speak, largely devoid of solid state technology as used in 900/2000.

I hope you can find a good one

True. I have a 1984 2204 horizontal input one and it's awesome.

but if anyone knows how to mod one to have el34's, I would really like to know.
the lesser known of the 4
there amazing, seriously get one.

I just finished a demo with one, the guitar on the right is a les paul straight into a jcm 800
and the left is a les paul through a dual rec.

They sound massive, you wont be let down.
sound clip:

www.myspace.com/nodivision
Quote by 5thhorseman

but if anyone knows how to mod one to have el34's, I would really like to know.

no mods are needed, just have it rebiased by a tech
wtf? are u on crack. The JCM 800 is what metal is... It is the metal amp. When metal started this is what you used....
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
I would say the single channel versions were more classic rock amps. Metal is a broad term though
Quote by Syn Harvest
i thought that 800s came with El 34s

The ones that stayed in England did. The ones that were shipped to the states were shipped tubeless and fitted with 6550's before they were sent out to stores. I have no good explanation why though. Oh yeah, Zakk Wylde uses the 6550's in his 800, God knows what other mods he has though.
the lesser known of the 4
okay the model is a 4211 100 watt, and i was thinkin that they would have enough gain for metal like a slayer type tone, since they used them