My cables are very long, and they keep on tangling up, sometimes I need to use the full length, sometimes I need to use only a bit, which really varies.

Is there any method how I can keep the cables need and tidy, and being able to stretch out to full length, or keep it in short length without being messy?
hows your wireless? ive heard bad things about wireless but i don't know whether that's just from tone freaks? also is yours rechargable or do you have to get new batteries all the time?
Marty
Quote by suicidalmoose
hows your wireless? ive heard bad things about wireless but i don't know whether that's just from tone freaks? also is yours rechargable or do you have to get new batteries all the time?

I am more than happy with my wireless set. Batteries apparently get you about 14 hours worth, but since it's only an AAA battery I change it before every gig.

In terms of tone, i've not noticed any difference. I only use mine live and it's not in clubs with the best soundsystems so i'm used to a bit of tonal diversifcation, especially when the sound engineer mid's all of your levels and controls them from the sound-deck.

The one I use was £140, which isn't a great amount of money, so i'd recommend trying one for a while. Certainly nice to get away from cables though
There is a method to wrapping cables. Can't describe it but essentially you just wrap it "over, under, over, under." Learn the proper way of wrapping cables, I'm sure someone you know knows how to do it, and you'll have a much easier time. Personally I am not a fan of wireless. Used to have a Shure system but I got rid of it when I felt my tone was suffering and I would often find dead spots in the middle of a set that I missed on my initial check pre-set. No fun.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
wrap it in a figure of 8 shape. it reduces excess noise!
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
AAAAAH! WIRELESS! EVIL! And yes, I am a tonefreak.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Yeah, I got some nice Velcro wrappy thingies with my last cable, so I use them to hold wrapped cables together.
But sometimes I need the full length, like every minute or so, then I don't need it.

Show a pic of over under over uiner?
I just wrap mine in a circle (access), and tie it up with a twist tie, so all of them dont get tangled together. Works well.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Those cable tie things. velcro cable ties............

I have a wireless dont use it much though
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I use these things called Cable Clamps.

They aren't exclusivly for guitar cables, but are actually made for things like Christmas lights chords or to clean up the chords at your computer's desk. You can find them at places like Home Depot, or probably Wal-Mart, or Canadian Tire (If you're a Canadian).

They work really well for me. I highly recommend them.
Planet Waves makes the EXACT same thing, same design and everything, just in black with their logo on it. Of course, they cost WAY more. But if you need to picture it in your head, check this link out.

http://planetwaves.com/Pcablesdetails.aspx?ID=7

The top product, the cable ties, are also nice. One of them came with my Circuit Breaker Cable.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Then just unclip the cable clamp... it'll all just unwind.
Gear:
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
well i keep my amps even with the drummer and he usually sets up near the back of the stage. so i take a 15' cable or a 20' whatever i need and run it from the amp to my pedalboard at the front of the stage. then i put those rubber wire cover things ocer it so nobody hooks it with there foot or the mic stand. then i just have a 20' or 50' cable from my pedalboard to my guitar. and as i walk around i have the cable hooked into the strap via a little clip. and when im heading back to my pedal board area i hook the cable with my foot and drag it.
And after I need the long length and unclip the thing, what if I later suddenly only need a bit?
Then wrap it around your elbow and clip it again?

God dammit man, what the hell do you want!? A retractable patch chord? They don't make stuff like that so stop being lazy and just wrap the damn thing up again. What's wrong with the chord laying on the ground!?

ARGH.
Gear:
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Umm.... I wonder if theres something you can ghetto rig to use as a retractor? I cant think of anything but keep your eyes open ya know? Or use the coil cables, they look like telephone cords they streach and retract. If ones not long enough but a few, solder, then heatwrap or tape the seams. Just my input.
sure a buddie of mine took one of those lights on the retactable cord with the little automatic winding thing whetever you call it. and rigged it up to hold a 50' cord and he just uses that. and you just give it a quick tug and walk back toward it and it pulls the cord in