Hi guys do you know any song or band that uses Single Coils and still sound heavy ??
I'm tryin to convince myself to buy a Strat......

All I got is, John 5, Yngwie, Chris Impellitteri (I'm not sure though)................

Help me !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Iron maiden's 3 guitarists, but i don't think that's particularly heavy. it is metal though.
Marty
kirk hammett during ...and justice sessions? he had a esp strat setup at one stage.
Quote by snave2008
i sir totally agree with every word you just said .
Don't mind about bands. Just make sure your coils hum as little as possible, or buy a Maiden signature strat/Standard strat with noiseless singles liek Hot Rails. Yeah, it's your best bet.
I myself prefer the humbuckies much more though.
i forget his name but the guy who played for Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave he only uses single coils and Kirk Hammet records most of his solos with a fender strat
if at first you dont succeed....FAILURE MUST BE YOUR STYLE
All those guys use either hot-rails or stacked humbuckers. Stacked 'buckers have 2 coils, but only one is used for picking up sound, the other one is a lot smaller and just reduces hum, great option if you want single coil tone minus the buzz, Ynwie uses them in all of his strats.
but yngwie isnt heavy, why did u say all you could find was yngwie cos hes anythin but heavy, lol
i wouldn't call yngwie light.

i would say single coils are great for soloing, and scaling. some might even go as far as to say they are better than hummers for this cause they accentuate treble frequencies better.

but for rythm, hummers are hard to beat, even your stacked singles might not give you that hummer fullness you get from overly distorted thrash or watever. That said you can always get sc sized hummers so thats fine, the real issue with this topic is rather about the body.

Would i be right in saying that most strats have a maple body? or am i way off? mahog or a denser tone wood might give you a darker tone so start from there. a mahog or alder strat might be the answer here.

I'd say the attack on a bolt on is supposed to be marginally better than a set neck so once again a strat is really a soloing beast, as opposed to a heavy rythm guitar.
Marty
i think john 5 has humbuckers in his tele. anyway, if you plan to use lots of distortion then regular single coils will hum a lot, but you can get noiseless SC or a hot rail if you want a strat (or you can get a HSS strat)...
EDIT: strat is usually alder or ash (both bright woods, ash is brighter), have maple necks, and maple or rosewood freatboard.
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Last edited by 666_Belial at Sep 11, 2006,
i would say that due to the fact that strats commonly use brighter woods, they wouldn't be suitable as a heavy guitar, but as a soloing guitar they are still up there.
Marty
Daron malakian from system of a down.. he used a strat in a live video of Soil in a club one time before system were big..i think i still have the video..it was Suite pee live
YNWGIE USES A STACKED HUM in his strat....
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by suicidalmoose
i would say that due to the fact that strats commonly use brighter woods, they wouldn't be suitable as a heavy guitar, but as a soloing guitar they are still up there.

yea, you're right... altough you could change the pickups and use some dark sounding amp (maybe a bass amp... ) and it could get heavy. amp is more important for tone than guitar...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Tony Iommi

Before Sabbth he used a Strat, but broke during their first recording it broke, so he used his SG. This SG was a SG Special which ahs P-90's and i saw he hasn't changed them, so most Black Sababth stuff are recorded with P-90's!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^^^ ^^^
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Last edited by J.MitMetallica at Sep 11, 2006,
Any song by the Bled. One of the guitarists uses a Tele, its not a stock Tele pickup, but it is a single coil.
The only time kirk hammett use the strat was maybe the 90's metallica era. Which no one liked that much. But some songs on like the black album kirked recorded with his ESP signature M series guitar. All his old stuff like Killem all and RTL was with his rip-off copy flying v gibson.

Dunno about Puppets though...,he used the jackson flying v right Or did they get sponsored by ESP real quick?
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Kirk Hammett
Iron Maiden (the 2 harmonic leads not the rythm)
Tom Morello (i think thats how you spell it)
Hendrix had some heavy souding stuff

there is more
its not the pickups, its how you play!

Kurt Cobain(Jazzmasters,Jaguars,telecasters), the Guitarist from Audiovent(Jazzmasters), Tom Morello and Jimmy Page(Telecaster) all use(d) single coils for recording quite often and proved that the only thing with single coils is that you need to play in minor keys, or with a load of distortion to be heavy sounding (not that the first 2 have the heaviest songs lyrically but who's counting?). Its the player more than the pickup. I play stuff like Guns and Roses, Children of Bodom and Iron Maiden on Strats and Teles! And I get a good sound believe it or not! Sure it hums a bit, but to compensate I just pick further from the bridge. Trust me, if you have decent picking technique you can sound heavy on anything. Oh yeah, creative distortion pedal settings help too, but are not necessary.
Quote by ch715dallat
but yngwie isnt heavy, why did u say all you could find was yngwie cos hes anythin but heavy, lol

He uses alot of gain, its heavy. And melodic minor.

Metal is heavy, and he is neoclassical metal. Which to alot of people isnt really a genre, although it is one in my book, actually sub genre.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by Keef-is-king
its not the pickups, its how you play!

Kurt Cobain(Jazzmasters,Jaguars,telecasters), the Guitarist from Audiovent(Jazzmasters), Tom Morello and Jimmy Page(Telecaster) all use(d) single coils for recording quite often and proved that the only thing with single coils is that you need to play in minor keys, or with a load of distortion to be heavy sounding (not that the first 2 have the heaviest songs lyrically but who's counting?). Its the player more than the pickup. I play stuff like Guns and Roses, Children of Bodom and Iron Maiden on Strats and Teles! And I get a good sound believe it or not! Sure it hums a bit, but to compensate I just pick further from the bridge. Trust me, if you have decent picking technique you can sound heavy on anything. Oh yeah, creative distortion pedal settings help too, but are not necessary.

If you have a good effects pedal/gain pedal then your set. I can get a good distortion sound out of my acoustic guitar when its plugged in.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

yes he is yngwie is a fatass
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Well if you class some of the Pumpkins stuff as heavy Billy Corgan used single coils on that.
Freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4. If that is granted, all else follows.
maiden use fat strats, that is all.
I'd say the heavier tones with single coils is when tom morrello uses his neck single coil for some riffin.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
First of all almost every single guitarist you names doesnt use "single coils" they use single coil sized humbers, stacked coils, rails, so and so. You see thaeres many ways they make singles coils as heavy, if not heavier than humbuckers. Just standard single coils from liek a strat cannot sound very heavy. So basically do what everyone else did and replace the pickups. BTW iron maiden doesnt use single coils. They have strats with humbuckers, Unless your talking about from like the 90s to now they do use rail single coils now.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth has used Strats on heavy recordings (as heard in parts of Blackwater Park, Still LIfe, MAYH), and Nile used to have some single-coil-ation.
-Mike
Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth has used Strats on heavy recordings (as heard in parts of Blackwater Park, Still LIfe, MAYH), and Nile used to have some single-coil-ation.
-Mike
What's so wrong with a fat strat or hotrails?
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by bluespunkmetal
Hi guys do you know any song or band that uses Single Coils and still sound heavy ??

All I got is, John 5, Yngwie, Chris Impellitteri (I'm not sure though)................

Help me !!

If you need to convinve yourself to buy a guitar, it's probably not the right guitar
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Most strats are alder. They have a bright tone which is why thier not very dark. Most single coils have less output also.
Wintersun. He used a telecaster on the album.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Dudage
If you need to convinve yourself to buy a guitar, it's probably not the right guitar

I Would never get any type of fender, just dont like them.
Same with any electric gibson. I'm not forming some rebellion
against big name brands haha.

So to the TS, dont force yourself to get one cuz some loser said, you suck cuz you dont have a strat.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by bluespunkmetal

well you're not very specific...

if all you want is a strat, why dont u get a carvin strat. choose a heavy wood, something with at least one full sized humbucker.

if you mean that you want to try to get heavy tones out of an SSS fender strat, then make sure ur amp can handle those tones, and look at models that come with high output pups.

like said, mini humbuckers like hot rails or dimarzio stacked pickups fit in a single coil space. they dont sound exactly like full sized humbuckers but can give u a higher output.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Ah ......... I'm gettin Dinkys anyway/
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!